FOR SALE: Faceplates on eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bid on both of these, but today I got a "Bid Cancelled" notification by e-mail. On looking up the bidding history for the items, it said "The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids." I've never had this before - what's the loophole here - I thought ebay was contractual?

Ray.

No, you can cancel an auction if, say, you have a shop and someone has walked in and offered you a good price you can pull the auction at any time.

Mmmm,
I`m with Ray on this one..
I understood ebay policy to be ( dont quote me, I could be wrong )
if no bid has been placed the seller can cancel the auction for any reason, but if a bid has been placed it is contractual and binding

sounds like cyber gazumping to me :lol:

NeilO":1j358f7z said:
Mmmm,
I`m with Ray on this one..
I understood ebay policy to be ( dont quote me, I could be wrong )
if no bid has been placed the seller can cancel the auction for any reason, but if a bid has been placed it is contractual and binding

sounds like cyber gazumping to me :lol:

... I have a feeling that only winning bids are contractual - and in my experience many people don't bother too much about that either. :roll:

My fault I'm afraid, I had to cancel the auction (quite legal Ray).

I had already promised the the faceplates to a member on here, when I put the ad on the forum, it reminded him. My memory seems to be going the same way as my back.

Apologies to anyone where I had to cancel their bids.

Cheers
Mike

Just as an 'aside' .. for info ...

There has to be a facility to allow a seller to cancel an auction of an item.. in case of unforseen circumstances where the item could become damaged or broken etc, prior to being concluded and sold for example.

E-bay, whilst being a 'great thing' in many respects... are abysmal in the event of any disputes ever arising between a buyer and a seller...
They don't want to know. They claim on the site blurb that they will be a good and impartial arbitrater in the event of any dispute arising... don't believe a word of it ! They will leave you high and dry, with the only 'resolution' being 'damage limitation to e-bay'.
( Same applies to Paypal, - a wholly owned subsidiary of e-bay )

As long as you go into the useage of it with your eyes well and truly open.. its a great thing... but its not without its hazards.

HTH

Jenx":1bsek0sr said:
There has to be a facility to allow a seller to cancel an auction of an item.

Ebay has this in place - a seller can end the auction at any time and all bids will be cancelled.

Jenx":1bsek0sr said:
E-bay, whilst being a 'great thing' in many respects... are abysmal in the event of any disputes ever arising between a buyer and a seller...

I agree, the threat of issuing non-paying bidder strikes is ignored by many non-paying bidders. Paypal is very expensive for the seller (although very convenient) and they will happily return the money from your account to the buyer if the post office loses their item. The best way to avoid this is to always use Signed For delivery.

Back