FOR SALE: Dominion FJA cast-iron lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to workshop relocation I'm selling my Dominion FJA 6in centre multi-speed alloy and woodturning lathe.

FromCatalogue.jpg

Sorry can't post photos until I get my replacement digi camera (2nd in 2 months :twisted: ) however the original manufacturer's 1984 brochure is here:

Page 1 / Page 2 / Page 3 / Page 4

The lathe is solid cast iron, bed, headstock , legs, everything and weighs in at 330kg (compare that to the weight of a VB36 to get an idea of what it means). It will break down into three major casting, although I reckon it might be better to deliver it strapped to a pallet (or if within 50 or so miles of Manchester/Leeds I would deliver it in our tail-lift van - I'll also be doing a trip to the East Midlands and possibly another to London/Kent before December). Pallet delivery would be £60 to £70 depending on where it was going. The weight makes it a bit heavy for the average small van or even a smaller estate car.

This lathe is ex-Navy so it spent a lot of it's life doing little or nothing. Since I've had it (6 years) it's probably had less than 40 hours use. It's unique feature is the mechanical variable speed control vari-pulley drive), 400 to 2200 rpm. Three phase - but I can supply a single phase motor for it. My sparky would charge me about £40 to do the conversion.

Comes complete with all the standard equipment (I think) plus most the attachments (3-jaw chuck, sanding disk, boring attachment, compound carraige + tools, set of six chisels, tool tray, bowl turning rest, two extra tool supports, two deep hole augers). Brilliant, heavy duty stable machine of a quality ulmost unknown these days. No idea of the real date, but I suspect late 1970s to late 1980s.

If you want the weight and stability of a Wadkin RS but haven't got the space and you really fancy the idea of a true variable speed lathe then this might be for you. OIRO £625, although I'm quite prepared to haggle or I might even take another WW machine in P/X. I also have a largish number of turning blocks and I'm sure a rubble sack full could come with the machine "for trial purposes"

Please PM me if interested, ta!

Scrit

Back