Footprint dies gracefully?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spotted this when googling for Footprint: don't know if they manage to sell eventually - any idea?

"Footprint Tools enters voluntary liquidation. (edit - dated May 2009)

The credit crunch and subsequent recession have forced Footprint Tools into making a "dignified exit" from the market. Speaking to DIY Week this morning, managing director Christopher Jewitt said: "We are in a state of solvent liquidation - voluntary liquidation, which means that all our creditors should be paid in full, all things being well.

"The recession and the credit crunch hit the business at the worst possible time as we were in the process of relocating the business from our Sheffield city centre premises to new premises in Owlerton.

"The plan was to then invest in new equipment to continue with our hand tool ranges and to open up new areas, but of course the world changed."

The company explored all available options, including selling the business as a going concern, but in the current climate, no buyer could be found. There is still hope that the brand will be preserved however, or a buyer found for the manufacturing facility.

Mr Jewitt continued: "Clearly for any business a relocation is a major upheaval, and to be ht with a recession coupled with a credit crunch - meaning a total lack of available funding - meant that under the circumstances we felt it was the only route open to us. Therefore, the directors took the decision that rather than sitting back and letting the company become insolvent we would conduct an orderly wind down.

"The one thing we didn't want to happen was to see the company go bust - this is a dignified exit. We wanted to go honourably, as befits a company of Footprint's standing and reputation."

He expressed regret that the staff would lose their jobs, but added that the voluntary nature of the wind down was in their best interest, as, while being made redundant, "they are not being locked out".

"We're not the first and we won't be the last," said Mr Jewitt. "It's very sad because Footprint has been in the stewardship of the Jewitt family since 1948. The plan was a good one but it was bad timing as a confluence of events have conspired against us.""

A funny brand Footprint, a bit more expensive than the DIY shed stuff but obviously not of the quality of the high end expensive stuff. Therefore they seemed to fall between customers, think I may have one of their card scrapers and that's it

I don't have any Footprint stuff either but I was impressed by their beechwood handled bevel edged chisels...very good for the price. Still a shame though to see another well respected British manufacturer go to the wall :( - Rob

As stated on the other thread. Footprint is very much still in business. Look at the dates above. Their website was updated in September with new products and a catalogue.

I've heard good things about footprint. I think they should be used as much as possible to keep this, admittedly budget, manufacturer in the UK.

Rob the date of that article is 'Published on 13 - May - 2009' The last comment is 21/09/2009 and is from an ex employee who obviously, like everyone else here, has taken the original article as read. They are back in business (or never actually went out). I can't find any clues as to what happened in the interim.

I am going to try and fined out when I am off work I need to go to Sheffield any way so I will go and investigate at the same time will make a ride out on motor bike!

wizer":3u6llmma said:
As stated on the other thread. Footprint is very much still in business. Look at the dates above. Their website was updated in September with new products and a catalogue.

As far as I can tell their website hasn't been updated since last year;

http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/index_home.htm

Indeed, hot news off the press is that they are about to move into new premises;

http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/story1.htm

Dated August 2008...

Unfortunately, even if a company still has somethng to offer, nothing is more certain to send it into liquidation than the MD announcing that it has no future!

Stockists will source supplies elsewhere and flog off their existing inventory, suppliers will refuse to extend any further credit, and the bank will withdraw support...

Game over - unless they can find someone to buy them out at an inevitably much reduced price. The guy should have kept his gob shut!

I always assumed that Footprint tools were decent quality Chinese or Indian imports. They looked and felt like Chinese or Indian imports! I suspect that it was their refusal or inability to move with the times and carve themselves a niche among the high quality brands that finished them. Why would anyone buy a British version of an imported tool when he can buy the real thing for half the price?

A typical British story of lack of investment over the last 80 years or so. The extended family meanwhile, no doubt all live in big houses bought with money extracted when times were good and work as lawyers and bankers.

It makes me sad that Germany and even Italy manage these things so much better, and consequently still have thriving manufacturing sectors.

To blame the 'credit crunch' is convenient but disingenuous. Lousy management over generations more like. It is the staff I feel sorry for.

Brad

You're right, sorry. I missed the 8 and was mislead by the 08-09 catalogue. I'm sure I saw something on there that was updated september 09 but obviously now that I'm 30 I'm suffering senior moments :lol:

I've just spoken to a retailer who suspects that Footprint won't return to the woodworking market.

What a shame.

Latest posts

Back