Footnote for Finger Tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that I would advocate trying this at home however for all its inherent faults (or maybe it's just me!), the human body has remarkable powers of regeneration.

Less than three weeks ago, I got my finger caught in a planer while it was running. I was very lucky but still managed to slice almost all the way through the tip of my finger, leaving a hinged lid effect. Four stitches and a whole tube of glue were applied to it and I was told to leave the dressing on for a week. When I removed the dressing, the wound was still open and bleeding but I was advised further stitches wouldn't help so it was redressed and left for another week. Last week it looked a whole lot better but still not completely closed so it was dressed again to limit the risk of infection. I removed the dressing the other day and although there was still a gap it was no longer bleeding and I figured I;d get away with little more than an elastoplast. That lasted a day when I dispensed with it altogether.

Earlier today, my finger tip dropped off. Clearly my body had decided the old tip had served is purpose and was no longer required so off it went to reveal a regenerated fingertip. My fingertip now resembles the aftermath of a burst blister with only the ragged edges of the old skin remaining, the fresh pink and still tender new skin revealed. It still has that slightly numb sensation one feels when, e.g. it gets hit with a hammer but other than that it's as good as new.

Like I said, I was very lucky and my injury could have been far, far worse. I didn't even think I was being particularly cavalier when the accident happened so it just goes to show it can to anyone at any time so be careful folks, you might not be so lucky as I was. Although in truth, if Lady Luck had really wanted to smile on me, I could really have done with a huge lottery win!

phil.p":384r6yro said:
Wish I could say the same for my legs. :lol:

I have a friend who has just celebrated his tenth "Legless" anniversary. When I first met him and was told he was 'legless' I thought he was hiding it well and amazed that he could ride at all. When they pointed out he really was legless and not simply drunk as I'd thought they meant I was humbled by his refusal to allow a real horrific injury (he lost both legs below the knee) hold him back. When I say 'ride', he was riding a horse, something he still does and I won't attempt with two legs. He also rides pushbikes (cycled from Land's End to John O'Groats to raise money for the 'less fortunate' than himself and is forever away on some fundraiser, showing far more stamina than many an able-bodied person. And not a hint of bitterness or self-pity.

Well Lons, I know how you feel. On friday just as I was about to whack a 6mm chisel to start my umpteenth mortise of the day, the phone rang; I crapped m'self and looked at the phone while my arm still swung the mallet. managed to put the chisel through my index finger and sliced it from knuckle to the other side of the nail. At first thought I'd just hit my finger with the mallet but 10 secs later had niagra falls all over the workshop. Couldn't stop the bleeding so off to A&E some glue and stiches and just waiting for mine to do the same.

I still don't know how I did it but I managed to lose most of a fingernail and the end of my finger at the back of a table saw blade (on the upstoke as it were). This was nearly two years ago and I still have numbness at the end of that finger. I am normally very careful but it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration.

Bill

Back