Food Safe Finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Would someone have a list or link to food safe finishes for bowl, goblets etc ?

eg would beeswax be safe ?

Thanks

Laurence

google Chestnut Products

Food safe finishes plus a host of others they're my preference!

Also consider not ading anything. When I have made chopping boards, mortar & pestles, things that are going to be used for food and taking a bit of a beating I just get as smooth a finish as possible and put nothing on it. Make sure that you also use a food safe wood such as beech, not Laburnum, yew, sumach etc.

Pete

Laurence, I think you will find most finishes currently available are 'safe' when cured, and certainly if they are classed as child safe.

If you are using any of the proprietary finishes then I think they are all usable with dry foodstuffs.

The determining factor is as to whether they will stand up to the use.

Beeswax for instance will dull rapidly if handled a lot and may not provide much protection for the wood if it is wetted.

Food Safe Oil, usually a version of Liquid paraffin (light grade to aid penetration) will withstand repeated wiping with a damp kitchen towel or even a quick rinse under the cold tap, exposure to detergent however will rapidly remove the surface protection.

Other edible nut and vegetable oils are obviously not poisonous but may be subject to going rancid or cause allergic reactions to some people.

I regularly use a melamine enhanced finish on small bowls for use with soft fruit, apples, pears etc. this is wipeable if necessary and does not stain as an oiled finish might with an over ripe item.

I'd go with Bodrighy - either nothing, or if you happen to be selling your item, something the customer can easily replenish - some sort of natural oil - Vegetable/Olive/Grapeseed etc,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back