Folding work table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev.k

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted a permanent work bench but both my sheds are far from ideal (8’ x 6’ and 25’ x 3’).

I was going to buy a workmate as my last one ( My Dads from the 70’s) was vey robust and lasted years. I’ve read that is no longer the case so I looked at other options.

Thinking of buying this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wolfcraf...Vht_tCh1-SAn8EAQYAiABEgJkpPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Wondered if anyone had a better recommendation before i buy one.

Thanks

I’ve got one of these which seems to be okay - it folds flat and has a couple of clamps built in. Seen quite a few in use on small work jobs by telecoms people and the like.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-1718...3189560598&psc=1#immersive-view_1687329835625
I was just looking at these. Seem a good option and doesn’t matter if it gets wet.
Does it need to fold into a single piece? An MFT box top and a couple of folding saw horses could be a good option.
I had not considered this option as I have never seen a MFT box top. Looks good 👍

Last edited:
Think I will go with one of the plastic options. Probably the Keter suggested by glenfield2 👍

Like the MDF box top suggestion and the wolfcraft but as today proves, rain really comes out of nowhere in Manchester. MDF wont last Long.

Last edited:
Peter Millard made a couple of Ten Minute Workshop videos on homemade portable workbenches..….

and a lighter weight version…

Peter Millard made a couple of Ten Minute Workshop videos on homemade portable workbenches..….

and a lighter weight version…

You’ve inspired me to make a wall mounted, folding workbench.

Cleared the space in my shed last night.

Will still pick up a Keter folding table

Just picking up on the B&D Workmates, I have one of the older black painted all steel versions with the step and use it a lot, very sturdy, at my sons house he has the newest version and its def not as well made or sturdy as the old one (I think its smaller too?) if you want a good workmate look out for a secondhand one with the step.
Steve.

Just picking up on the B&D Workmates, I have one of the older black painted all steel versions with the step and use it a lot, very sturdy, at my sons house he has the newest version and its def not as well made or sturdy as the old one (I think its smaller too?) if you want a good workmate look out for a secondhand one with the step.
Steve.
I nearly bought the wm825 on Amazon today. might take a chance for £60.

I found Peter's bench to heavy to lug around - I built one of these as light portable bench MFT - the centipede legs are very useful and versatile

a WM200 is old but sturdy and big - I bought one for £20 a while back

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12597963...NwRA7VcrlWcFS93dE25iKy58E=|tkp:Bk9SR5yRuaSdYg

Centipede legs look really good. Perfect solution for what I need.

Toolchimp have than on sale but the size I’d want is out of stock.
213C53E0-DF7E-41BC-BA2B-52002CB84186.png

The WM200 is a bargain at £20. New ones are trash in comparison

Last edited:
Last edited:
I use 2 of the Bora legs with MFT tops for portable "benches". They're light weight, so no use for anything involving planes and the like. But they are invaluable for cutting up sheets and general work.

I did away with the Bora clamps for holding the tops on and just screwed on some door stops that drop into the holes in the top of the Bora legs. This gives good registration and keeps the tops in place.

To save carting around the tops... and then the legs... I added some plastic pipe clips to the tops which hold the Bora legs. Some short velcro straps on the legs also stop them from expanding unexpectedly 🤡 This all makes for very compact and portable tables. Wouldn't be without them.

I use 2 of the Bora legs with MFT tops for portable "benches". They're light weight, so no use for anything involving planes and the like. But they are invaluable for cutting up sheets and general work.

I did away with the Bora clamps for holding the tops on and just screwed on some door stops that drop into the holes in the top of the Bora legs. This gives good registration and keeps the tops in place.

To save carting around the tops... and then the legs... I added some plastic pipe clips to the tops which hold the Bora legs. Some short velcro straps on the legs also stop them from expanding unexpectedly 🤡 This all makes for very compact and portable tables. Wouldn't be without them.
Sounds good. Any photos you can upload?
Are these the Bora portamate speedhorses?
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back