FM300BC Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had enough of the low powered extractor I use on my thicknesser so I'm close to buying an Axy FM300BC.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-fm300bc-extractor-501264

Previous threads on here suggest the 2,000 m³ air flow will make a big difference.

Before I do though, can anyone suggest to me some similar powered alternatives to consider? I don't really want to spend more than the £280 but I will if its a much better bit of kit.

Thanks!
Carl.

Thanks Matt. Definitely worth considering. Have read about a bit here on that model and a little worried about it not having specific airflow spec.

Well it's between these two. Not convinced with some comments about SIP extractors but the Axy gets some questionable reviews too on their site. Either way I can't see something better for that sort of money, with enough suck for a P/T.

I'd like to use it on my bandsaw too so that probably means for the Axy I'd need the filter cartridge (out of stock and expensive). The sip has some filter bags which might not be great but makes it tempting, so I can at least crack on with using it on the bandsaw as well as it's main purpose the P/T.

Anyone seen both in use? Are they horses for courses?

Not seen either, but I think you would regret not having the canister filter. I see Axi have it as a package deal with the canister.

Out of stock unfortunately. Same price as separate purchase (so not sure what the "deal" is they claim :) ) but the cartridge alone is out of stock also.

I've gone for the Axminster one. They had 1 cartridge left on ebay so picked that up too.

Cheers.

I have the FM300BC with cartridge filter, my PT used not to clear properly and manual chip removal was the order of the day, this was when using a 2400watt Numatic, with the FM300BC everything is cleaned out of the planer and thickener without any help, same with the bandsaw and table saw, highly recommended unless you have a small dog. LOL

Mike

Cheers Mike,

I think you might have the same PT as me too? Kity?

Turns out axminster ebay stock of 1 was actually 0 so I don't have the cartridge coming yet. Fingers crossed it does actually come back into stock.

Carl.

Mine seems to work perfectly, just set it up as I think it should be, no snipe at all, just a fag having to clear the rollers from the thicknessing bed, I use a dental pick, I just have to remember the bed is lowered sufficiently that I don't cut my hand on the blades, yep done that, been there. :oops:

Mike

Yeah no snipe at all here either. May have been my fault but I got snipe every time on my previous thicknesser.

I've changed blades a few times and each time I forgot what I did and set them up in a different way. Last time I held them in position at the highest point and just used two blocks of iron (on the outfeed) to hold them in place while I tightened. Seems to have worked well although needs a bit more testing and measuring to be sure. I read that somewhere on a french blog (via google translate).

Reassuring to know someone with the same PT and the extractor I have arriving tomorrow. Not much fun spending hundreds on extraction but then again its not much fun going dizzy blowing chippings away from the thicknesser bed after every cut either..

I've only cleared the rollers once. Maybe depends what sort of wood you're working with.

I set mine up similarly, but use a piece of plate glass level with the out-feed table.

I had some not very well seasoned wood which blocked the rollers with resin, but with the well seasoned oak I have its not a problem, seems to stay well clear.

I modified the outlet from the chute to be 100mm circular rather than that very awkward oval it comes with, have you done the same?

The waste bag on the extractor needs to be attached very tighly otherwise you get dust blowing out the top of the bag, its also quite difficult to hold it in place whan doing up the strap, easier with two people, or use tape to hold it temporally whilst you attach the strap.

Mike

Thanks, yeah I've read it's not easy to attach the bag.

How did you modify the chute? All I've done is forced some 100mm tubing over it and held it in place with a clip.

I heated up a piece of 100mm pipe with a paint stripping gun and forced it over the oval outlet, then used some all weather adhesive to smooth out the join internally, pipe was screwed into the chute from the inside to give it some support with countersunk self tappers, sharp ends filed off where they protruded above the pipe.

Mike

Ah right, so similar to me except probably doing a much better job than just a big jubilee clip.

Extractor is due tomorrow and I've got some oak to dimension so I'll see how it goes :)

Oak logs where the first thing I attacked with the kitty, I did not have the extractor when I did this, so chips with everything.

and then made some picture frames out of the log:

Believe it or not this is what passes as fire wood in France.

Mike

Back