Flush Cut Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chipchaser":29hnhvpx said:
Derek and Adrian,

Thanks for additional info on the Veritas Japanese saw. Adrian, I was only able to track it down on the Lee Valley site using the item number you kindly supplied. I cannot find that saw anywhere in UK and it would probably work out fairly expensive to buy and have it sent from Canada. The nearest I could find in UK is the 24tpi Kugihiki Noko sold by Axminster.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Ice- ... -20397.htm

The blade is only 0.2mm thick or should I say thin. Derek, would that be the sort that could bind and possibly twist in the cut?

This saw looks similar to the Japanese saw from Lee Valley in its shape. That saw has a 0.28 mm thick blade. The reviewer in the magazine article said that because the blade was both thin and narrow it was very responsive to wrist movements, which means it's easy to mar the work surface. A thicker, less flexible blade is better, but a thin blade can work ok if the blade is very wide, since it's easier to hold a wide blade down onto the work surface and avoid twisting.

Axminster also sell a Japanese Kumagoro Flushcut Saw the blade of which is 0.5mm thick. As far as I can see they don't specify the tooth pitch so it may also be 24 or so tpi.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Ice- ... 364268.htm

Might that be similar thickness to the Veritas?

If the the "Veritas" you mean the 60T06.20 (which is not a Veritas branded item) then yes, it is similar in thickness. That saw has a thickness of 0.53 mm. The blade looks kind of narrow, though.

You might be interested in reading the review article in the magazine. There is also an article about flush saw technique. You can purchasing issue #8 of Woodworking Magazine as a download (no postage costs) for US$ 6 which looks like about 4 pounds. (They also have a CD with issues 1-8 on it for $20 which might be a better deal if shipping isn't too much.)

Back