Flocking - has anyone ever used this brand...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a thread on here somewhere, or drop sunnybob a PM, but I am sure that I read that he was advised that you can use hammerite paint.

Thanks marcros. I got the product code from the photo and found that specific adhesive sold separately which states that its suitable for use with wood, so as there was also 25% off I thought the kit was worth a punt for the kit!

Whenever possible use the correct glue. I cant because the glue is banned from aircraft so I cant bring any back with me from my UK visits.
The main woodworking flocking kits are made by donjer in america. I contacted them for an alternative and they advised me that an outdoor iron coating paint is a similar product.
I use hammerite and the results are quite good, but the flocking is very hard to the touch when completely dry. Having said that, so far I have not seen any flocking done with the real glue, so I cant comment on the differences.

Let us know if and when you use this. I have been on the site and asked if they have a video of the process, but it sounds like the more common one that most of us know about where the material is 'puffed' on, although the puffer they sell in the kit doesn't look very good.
Malcolm

Will do malcom. I've not done any flocking before, so for £16 inc delivery i thought it would be worth a punt. Not expecting any miracles, and i agree the 'puffer' does seem very basic compared to others i've seen, but i'll give it a shot

I cant think how the puffer could be more basic than the one I have from donjer. Its a cardboard tube like we used to have 50 years ago to blow up balloons with, except it has a few holes in the top rather than one.

Sawdust=manglitter":l09vfmnq said:
Has anyone ever used Floc King for flocking jewelry box drawers etc? The company seem to concentrate on the car interior market and I cant find any info on the specific adhesive that comes with the kit so don't know if it will be suitable for wood?

http://www.floc-king.co.uk/product-page ... 1dabaf94e3

No problems with this company, the DIY kit they send out contains a brush, glue and flock of your choice and a plastic bottle puffer. They also sell the basic tube as mentioned above, easy to use and unless you want to splash out hundreds on the electrical kit, this puffer is fine. Just purchase the glue and flock that you need with the tube puffer. They advise you to seal any porous wood before applying the glue which has a working time of five mins. You can pay via pay-pal if you wish. Register with the company and receive their news letter, friendly helpful voice when you speak to them. My first go was rubbish because I put the glue on too thick, second go was much better.

I've actually just bought some, first time flocking so I don't know what to expect.

First time on a test box was a bit piecemeal, which I put down to to the glue seeping into the wood and not leaving enough for the flock, while some parts looked everything I hoped, others parts were blotchy with hardly any flocking stuck. Putting glue over the flocked area was a mild improvement but still not consistent. I don't think this is an issue with the flocking itself but me or possibly the colour matched glue.

Tomorrow I've got some boxes I'm going to try, I've hopefully sealed them with some shellac to stop the glue seeping through, I'll post some pics if that will help afterwards.

The flock itself looks good, but as I say its my first time.

Not long back I purchased this set from Turners Rest http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/finishes/decorative/suede-tex/starter-kit
Never used anything like this before. Read the instructions twice and went for it. Followed instructions to the letter and ended with a excellent finish. I have used it twice since and worked great on both subsequent operations. Decided to use painters low tack frog tape after getting a small seep under normal tape.
A couple of quid more than the earlier mentioned brand but cannot fault it as the finish is great.
Have only used the black so far.

Unfortunate that the glue is not a neutral colour that can be used on all the different colours. Any idea's how to get round this ?

no.

Because I cant get the original glue here I used bright red paint, almost orange scarlet, but the red just doesnt sparkle. On my first attempt the rayon didnt stick in a couple of places and it was so obvious when the very bright under colour shone through.

Its still a very nice finish, but it just doesnt sparkle, where the black has a really nice finished look.

Back