Float Glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JB Glass have got my business. Very knowledgble. Asked me what I wanted it for. Explained sharpening and before I could finish, they were spouting off the scary sharp system to me.... So I'm very confident I am going to get exactly what I want and all for 25 quid.

Sam

Sam, They are opposite The Fellie, and have a little car park round the back you can use. I don't know if it's still going on, but there were roadworks by The George recently that made that end of Filton Avenue one way - you could not get onto it from the ring road traffic lights.

How did the planer blades go at Crescent Universal? I was going to nip up there on Saturday with a pair for sharpening and balancing.

Good luck with the sharpening

Sean

The prices and service I thought was good at Crescent Universal. However, I didn't have anything to compair them against.
Took me ages to find them. Don't think they are open at the Weekend. It's not like they are a shop, just a engineering unit on
the trading estate. I've got a couple of saw blades I need to take in. I'll cycle there this time as they are right on the cycle path
through Fishponds.

Here is a link to Google Maps for their unit. They are the green arrow.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4&t=h&z=19

Cheers,
Sam

slightly the wrong side of Bristol for me, but worth knowing about if I'm in that area.
I need to pop into a few of the cabinet makers around here and find out where they get their blades resharpened.

A brief and maybe faulty history of window glass:

-In the old days window glass was blown. A bubble was blown by mouth and stretched lenghtwise and cut open and flattened on a straw mat. The product is easily recognized by it's uneven thickness and wavy and uneven appearance. On the cheap quality favoured by farmers in my area one can see prints left by the straw mat. It often har plenty of stresses in it and consequently cracks easily. The cheaper quality often was a bit greenish in colour.

-Then came rolled glass. It can be recognized by slight corrugations all over the surface. They all run in the same direction all over the sheet. They can be seen from an angle but are invisible when looking straight through. Often there are minor bubbles especially in post-war products when all machinery had deteriorated during the war.

-Then came float glass. All modern window glass is floatglass....to my knowledge.

jlawrence":39rfu54n said:
slightly the wrong side of Bristol for me, but worth knowing about if I'm in that area.
I need to pop into a few of the cabinet makers around here and find out where they get their blades resharpened.

Jon, for what it's worth, I used to work for a firm in Backwell who had their blades and tooling sharpened by EPS (Edwards Precision Saw) in Taunton. It was more convenient (and cost-effective) for them to have the EPS guy pay a visit once a week to pick up one set of blunt blades and replace with the ones which had been freshly sharpened since his last visit. You may find that some of the larger firms in your area (Badmans are the only one I can think of right now :roll:) do something similar. :(

I'm not aware of many lone cabinet makers down your way either. You may have better luck going a little deeper in to Somerset, where I've come across several names in the past.

There's a couple of workshops in the same industrial estate as the 'wood recycling" place. I'll pop in and ask them next time I'm there.
Taunton's not a problem as I tend to pop down there at least once a month to visit the cricket.

Thanks everyone for the advice. JB Glazing came up trumps with the glass I wanted and they polished the edges too.
Looks like a glass shelf now, to good to use. :lol: If anyone else needs glass, I can highly recommend their service and
knowledge. Plus they were the cheapest too. Everywhere else wanted the price I paid without the polished edges.

Cheers,
Sam

Back