flipstop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claud1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to ask your advice on fitting a flipstop on the side of a sliding mitre saw. I have had this set up for several years on the left hand side of the saw and found it OK but now I am going to move the saw and was thinking it may be better on the right hand side, I would like to know what the members think and if there are any advantages. I know I will need a different tape but I don't think that will be a problem to get.

Many thanks

I could well be wrong, I don't even own such a saw, but my expectation would be that stops would normally be on the right because like that, one can hold the workpiece steady with one's left hand and push up against the stop, and use one's dominant right hand for the accuracy-requiring task of pulling the saw down.

But then, I'm left-handed, so maybe I think about things like that just 'cause I find so many things that don't quite work right for me!

I've got an elderly Elektra Bekum KGS 300 mitre saw, like this Metabo (below, which is the later version, after Metabo bought EB). As designed, it has a sliding stop on the right and has only one work clamp (on the left). I couldn't find an image with the stop fitted, but it clamps behind the right hand fence, and is basically a U-shaped piece of steel rod, one end acting as the stop:
elektra-beckum-kgs331.jpg

I realised recently that it was set up (or at least working) like my track saw - in other words there's a 'good' and 'bad' side to the cut. If the wanted piece is on the right, the cut is excellent (and true). If it's on the left, the finish is rough, and not true.

I think it cuts like this because the blade isn't perfectly in line with the slide and pivot. It's tilted slightly over anti-clockwise and possibly twisted clockwise (as you look down on it).

We're probably talking small fractions of a degree in both cases. In an ideal world, I ought to sort this out, so that both sides of the cut are right. It certainly limits its usefulness. But it would be a real fiddle to do, especially if it is tilted rather than twisted (big rubber mallet, lots of tapping and probably cursing).

I mention this because there's surely no reason in principle why you can't put stops and measures on both sides, BUT, if yours is set up like mine, one side will give much better results than the other.

E.

PS: Like Jake I'm left handed, but I occasionally use a push-stick to hold smaller work against the fence (on the right hand side). The EB/Metabo design is limited by the induction motor's position - the motor body reduces the depth of cut substantially because it's so bulky, and it's awkward to hold work underneath it - With small stock you can't see your fingers, which I think is dangerous.

Later: found a picture of the stop:
0910009010.jpg

Mine has a wooden block on the end, and you can reverse the legs of the U for different distances - it's really handy for repeat work.

If you are right handed you're probably using your left hand to hold the workpiece whilst pulling the saw down into the cut with your right. If so then your stop should be on the left, because otherwise the waste will be trapped between the blade and the stop when the cut is complete and liable to be thrown around with dangerous consequences. You should always be in a position to hold the work firmly against the stop in the same way as you would against the fence on a tablesaw - and for the same reasons.

I have stops fitted on both sides
The one I use the most is the stop on the right as I am Right handed :mrgreen:
However I will quite often set the left side for a different size for batch runs of timber
For example cutting rails and stiles ,,, rails to the right stop and stiles to the left
Works for me LOL

WellsWood":1ugvspbs said:
If you are right handed you're probably using your left hand to hold the workpiece whilst pulling the saw down into the cut with your right. If so then your stop should be on the left, because otherwise the waste will be trapped between the blade and the stop when the cut is complete and liable to be thrown around with dangerous consequences. You should always be in a position to hold the work firmly against the stop in the same way as you would against the fence on a tablesaw - and for the same reasons.

+1
Seems the most comfortable way to me; I am right-handed. (I use the work-clamp that was fitted to the saw for EVERY cut. I keep my hands well clear.)

Paranoid? Maybe but I can 'salute' with either hand. 8)

WellsWood":1881xuj7 said:
otherwise the waste will be trapped between the blade and the stop when the cut is complete and liable to be thrown around with dangerous consequences

Maybe I'm missing something since I don't own one of these saws, but doesn't the cut go towards the fence at the back anyway (with the teeth at the front, nearest the user, moving down), meaning it's much less likely that any wood will be thrown anywhere?

JakeS":1np4yzli said:
WellsWood":1np4yzli said:
otherwise the waste will be trapped between the blade and the stop when the cut is complete and liable to be thrown around with dangerous consequences

Maybe I'm missing something since I don't own one of these saws, but doesn't the cut go towards the fence at the back anyway (with the teeth at the front, nearest the user, moving down), meaning it's much less likely that any wood will be thrown anywhere?

Yes but it is that close to blade that if you move or relax slighly the wood can still be caught and thrown by the blade and it does give out a hell of a bang when it does :oops:

Mine 'kicked-back' once. I was operating it 'Donkey-face-backards', with the flip stop on the right. No danger, because I had the clamp on the workpiece, but it still elevated blood-pressure and heart rate for an instant... :shock:

Mine is on the left and the workpiece is held on the left. That way there is nothing unsupported between the blade and stop. It only takes a little movement...
S

Steve Maskery":2cr4vu59 said:
Mine is on the left and the workpiece is held on the left. That way there is nothing unsupported between the blade and stop. It only takes a little movement...
S

I must admit that on my radial arm saw I have always had the stop to the right but what you say makes sense and I will try it to the left.

It doesn't matter which side it is on. What matters is that it is held firmly and that any unsupported waste is not trapped and eager for take-off.
S

What I am saying is that up to now if I have had a length of wood 2 mts long and I want to cut say 6 bits 200mm long from it I have had the stop on the right and have been holding the long bit but I can see that it would be better to have the stop on the left and hold the short bit.

Claud1":1nfyrwgk said:
I know I will need a different tape but I don't think that will be a problem to get.

Our very own Steve Maskery sells them, or at least used to. I bought one off him ages ago. PM him as he would never tout for business in his posts.

regards

Brian

Indeed I used to, but no longer, I'm afraid. I discovered I was paying more for them "trade" than Axi sells them retail...
But thanks very much for the plug, much appreciated.
S

Well thanks very much for all the response I appreciate the advice. I think I will have stops on each side for safety sake.

Back