Fixings in uPVC window frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that regular wooden fixings ie screws and similarly drills are good for dense plastic like window frames. Or.....because the material is dense, do machine screws or at least tight wound screws work better like those designed for hardwoods?

Thanks

Hardened wood screws are nearly as tough as self tappers, I have used them my self into upvc.

Pete

Pete, you are right on the hardness and toughness of course. My reason for choosing self-tappers was that they have, relatively, a narrower shaft and deeper threads, thus designed to hold better on thinnish sheets.

Random Orbital Bob":1e1bn9nt said:
Am I correct in assuming that regular wooden fixings ie screws and similarly drills are good for dense plastic like window frames. Or.....because the material is dense, do machine screws or at least tight wound screws work better like those designed for hardwoods?

Thanks
Rob, are they just plastic or is there a load bearing aluminium insert in the verticals. Might influence choice and positioning of fixings.

I'd use a coarser, tapered cutting thread like a self-tapper or a woodscrew, rather than a smoother, finer, parallel thread like a machine screw. Another possible gotcha is that sometimes there are bits of steel lurking inside the UPVC profile (e.g. for improved structural/security performance) - also some bits of the profile will be thicker/thinner than others - so I guess you'll need to see all the design details to be sure. Cheers, W2S

Understood. Think that's what Chas was referring to. Various manufacturers reinforce the profiles with steel historically and more recently a plastic composite to add rigidity for structural and security reasons which obviously might the halt the passage of any given poorly designed for the job screw. What I'm really after is the holy grail of holding power. Which type of fixing is going to deliver the greatest holding power (thread type etc) in this difficult to fathom material.

I think that most window frames are made of uPVC which is not particularly dense, although denser than most timber, relatively ductile, and of moderately low tensile strength. I'm guessing that the shear strength (which is what screw fixings rely [heavily?!] quite a lot on) is not great either.

https://www.makeitfrom.com/material-pro ... uPVC-PVC-U

I'd use whatever fixing distributed the forces as widely as possible across the material, with no hot-spots/point loads. A larger number of bigger holes is better than a smaller number of smaller holes. I'd use a fastener with maximum surface area contact with the hole it's in - fatter being preferable to thinner. A bit like trying to fix something to thermalite block.

I think that any application that is pushing the limit of what's achievable might be worthy of a re-think. Cheers, W2S

Back