Fixing Hitachi C9U/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Am just looking at a C9U and C9U2 circular saw on my floor. The rotor burnt out on the U2 and it looks like a straight swop for the motor housing from the U (which has a bust base unit/blade housing). Anything to look out for? Any reason why the 4 year old U2 didn't last as long as the 20+ year old U? 2" of oak did for it.

RossJarvis":2nkumkkn said:
Any reason why the 4 year old U2 didn't last as long as the 20+ year old U? 2" of oak did for it.

Value engineering. Most users don't expect their power tools to last 20+ years. By shaving bits off, thinner wire in the motor, lighter castings, etc. Hitachi save money on everyone built and most saws still work for 5+ years so most users are happy. And they keep going selling replacement saws.

Was a report that Apple had sold phones to everyone in the west that was likely to buy one. The one untapped market was africa and south east asia. Unfortunately the income in these areas limited the number who could buy their phones so it was in Apples interest for the average income to increase in these areas. This is what a market driven economy delivers, don't make the best you can. Just make what the market will be happy with.

If the bits will mate up. Go with it.

Steve

Was the blade sharp enough? Both the older and newer Hitachi tools have Japan made motors and at least from what I have seen so far - superbly built and overbuilt in general. But newer tool issues like to test the strength of India/China made bearings which fail relatively quickly and present a tougher load to the motor. There`s also the possibility that you had a lemon, it happens and doesn`t mean the tool is bad.

Motor swopped over perfectly. The wiring next to the commutator and a few segments of that were fried and it looks like some plastic shield/shroud round part of the armature had been worn away which is probably something to do with the problem. Timber framers have always liked these as tough rugged tools, not sure if they're up to the same level of abuse anymore.

The concept of a blade being sharp enough is open to interpretation!!! I suppose it's not sharp enough when smoke pours out of the saw!!!!

I had a C9U2 years ago and never got along with it. For a tool intended for heavy work it seemed too flimsily built to me.

I sold it and bought a now 26-year-old Skil wormdrive - now that's a rugged saw!

Mark A":18dfntd9 said:
I had a C9U2 years ago and never got along with it. For a tool intended for heavy work it seemed too flimsily built to me.

I sold it and bought a now 26-year-old Skil wormdrive - now that's a rugged saw!

Not sure I've seen a wormdrive by anyone in the UK, very popular across the "pond" and I wonder why we don't have them. I can see the advantage in not having the motor stick out the side.

Skill wormdrives are "the" framing saw stateside.bit heavy tbh. But in the hands of a pro there amazing. They have a little oil filled gearbox. There very torque.

Back