Fixing Cast iron machinery to solid floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have your machinery bolted down?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you have underfloor heating you'd probably not want to drill the floor to anchor the machines.

Then all you have left is to set something into the floor before pouring the concrete - set the bolts in to the concrete, set a threaded sleeve into the concrete etc. All would require considerable precision before the pour. A template would help but might impede placing the concrete.

There may be a simple solution I'm missing but I'm not sure I see the point of anchoring the machines unless the concrete hasn't been power floated and the machines are in danger of rocking.

Not an answer but food for thought.

Eoin

christ!! if you carnt lay new concerete floor flat enough to stop your machines rockin its a sad look-out for the man laying it!!!

Hi Danny,

I would second what Matt and Jim said, The Metabo TF100 spindle moulder handbook says:

6 Installation
Important! This spindle moulder model TF 100 M must be anchored to the floor for stability. A machine not anchored to the floor may fall over while in operation.
Use suitable means for anchoring, e.g. anchoring bolts or expansion anchors Ø 8 mm.

I have a Startrite 301 bandsaw on the makers steel box base. The base is not large or heavy enough to make it stable and I could push it over without much effort. As I have a wooden floor in my workshop, to which I didn’t want to bolt it, I bolted the bandsaw base to a plywood sheet about twice as big in area as the footprint of the steel base. This makes it stable enough to use safely. A pair of wheels at the back and detachable wheelbarrow type handles make it mobile if needed.

Expanding anchors do work as the name implies so they will apply a splitting force to the slab but concrete of the correct specification and properly cured should be strong enough to resist that, especially if it is reinforced. The bolts only need to expand the sleeve enough to resist the pullout force required to resist overturning.

I would go with the resin anchored studs if that suits you but Polyester resin may be strong enough and is easily found at Toolstation/Screwfix etc. I have used it for setting bolts into brickwork with no trouble. If you want to be able to remove the studs set a threaded sleeve into the resin and screw the stud into that.

If you have concerns about drilling the floor and know where the machines are to go then you could form pockets for the bolts when casting the concrete. Secure pieces of polystyrene in the positions required so that they can’t move while the concrete is placed. When the slab is set hard enough to traffic the polystyrene can be removed by pouring a little cellulose thinners onto it (I think petrol works too). Once the machine or a template is in place the studs can be fixed in place with resin or a cementitious grout.

Regards

Graham

Back