Fixing a badly finished item.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
I found a mid century style sideboard/set of drawers in my local charity shop for pennies. It looks as if someone with no clue what they're doing has re-stained it carelessly and they'd also fitted an awful misshapen top to it and painted that with some extremely cheap acrylic paint that mostly peeled off when I put it in the boot.

The top has gone in the bin and will be replaced by some beech that I have lying round. The body of the thing (it was actually just labelled "thing" in the shop because it looked so ridiculous) is a combination of beech and furniture grade beech ply. If I had to guess I would say the stain is a B&Q or Wickes own brand shade that is approximating teak.

I've not restored anything before so I don't know how aggressive I can be when sanding the plywood. Can I just go at it with the power sander or will that stain be too deep? I'd just like to do a cleaner job of staining it with a nicer colour. Either that or maybe even just oil the thing.

What would be my best bet for refinishing it?

Of course with plywood and aggressive sanding is it's all too easy to go through the first ply - then you do have a problem.

Without seeing it and also not being sure what use you intend putting it to it's a bit difficult to offer worthwhile advise. Have you considered giving it a light sanding and then painting it? You could still have a wood finish on your replacement top and the mixture of painted and oiled/varnished wood can look very attractive.

It's going to be the new TV stand. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow. I'm tempted to try gently sanding a hidden area to see how readily the stain comes off. Is it possible or common for wood stain to penetrate deeper than the first ply?

RogerP":1nuknh1k said:
...........Have you considered giving it a light sanding and then painting it? You could still have a wood finish on your replacement top and the mixture of painted and oiled/varnished wood can look very attractive.
+1 for the above, any attempts to remove and change the stain are odds on likely to prove disappointing.
As long as the surface is sound and provides a good bond for paint it would I think have a better prospect of a satisfactory finish.

Back