Pros and cons of using mdf for craft items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoublem

Established Member
Reaction score
As per another post I've written, I am in the process of making a low value craft gift related item made of either mdf or ply (3mm thick). It's a small novelty item measuring 60mm x 80mm in size that sits on a sideboard. Nothing fancy about it but it's more about the printed design I'm applying to it. It will also be painted in black acrylic. I've been testing a few acrylic paints recently but noticed that painting just a black gesso primer seemed to work well on mdf without the need for applying additional coats of black acrylic on top. I'm looking for a reasonably quick but efficient job due to the low price pint of these items.

I was sent samples of mdf and also Poplar ply wood (3mm) to choose from for this project. Originally I thought the ply would be most suitable prior to receiving due to it costing more but now I've received the wood shape samples from the supplier the mdf has a nicer weight to it.

I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons are for mdf if solely used as a small craft gift related item, since I've never really worked with either of these woods.

We produce a range of small craft items initially we used both MDF and ply but we have moved only to ply now.
as above post says MDF is awful to paint particularly the edges its is also not that resistant to knocks and dings especially near the edges.
Baltic or Bass Wood ply of a good grade most of which is available in small A4 size sheets sanded lightly and painted will serve you well and perhaps a coat or 3 of sprayed acrylic lacquer once the printing is complete.
MDF has its place and is my go to material for jigs and templates

have you looked at a black painted mdf board as supplied by Laserply.co.uk, it is a 3mm board with black or white painted finish, it is designed for lasers and cnc, both methods produce dust and emit waste, cnc produced dust is more dangerous than the fumes produced by a laser

Latest posts

Back