Fitting upstands using gripfill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I'd just use cheap silicone, gripfill has a nasty habit of skinning over quickly & not sticking to one substrate, if you really want to use it apply it to both surfaces & after initial fitting ease your upstand away from the wall slightly to ensure you've got adhesion to both surfaces.

Pinkgrip is made by Everbuild, Gripfill by Evo-stick both are very similar.

Doug B":2pykk4sw said:
Personally I'd just use cheap silicone, gripfill has a nasty habit of skinning over quickly & not sticking to one substrate, if you really want to use it apply it to both surfaces & after initial fitting ease your upstand away from the wall slightly to ensure you've got adhesion to both surfaces.

Pinkgrip is made by Everbuild, Gripfill by Evo-stick both are very similar.

+1

As suggested cheap silicone, gripfill or similar is way overkill for something like an upstand, not only will it be harder to install but if you ever want to remove it again you will have real trouble. Silicone will cause less damage to the walls.

Yeah should stick fine, silicone sticks to just about everything as long as it is clean and dry. That is expensive for EB though, I only pay about £1.30 I think.

I have used Gripfill many times over the years with great results, both types. Pinkgrip I used and did'nt like it. With the solvent based stuff I stuck a lump of pitchpine to stone stumps in the garden to make a seat, it's still standing 20 years on. :)

Don't use gripfill or pink grip they skin over far too quick.

The best stuff I've found is Stixall which I think you'll find in tool station or a builders merchants.

We used gripfill for years on jobs and it was ok but it always skins over far too quick stopping it bonding. Stixall doesn't skin so bonds instantly.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

chippy1970":2pt99xm2 said:
Don't use gripfill or pink grip they skin over far too quick.

The best stuff I've found is Stixall which I think you'll find in tool station or a builders merchants.

We used gripfill for years on jobs and it was ok but it always skins over far too quick stopping it bonding. Stixall doesn't skin so bonds instantly.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I agree, the MS polymer adhesives like Stixall are great.

I have used gripfill and the pink stuff and it forms a skin far to quickly,so I started using DECORATORS CAULK and had on problems especially when fitting splash backs,just a tad bigger than upstands.

Peter.

My concern with decorators caulk would be the amount of shrinkage you get with it, fine in small amounts but a large blob would shrink considerably.
I'd also add that on occasion when removing architrave etc the decorators caulk has simply peeled off the wood so it wouldn't be my first choice as an adhesive, just a small gap filler.

Just about any construction adhesive will work of course. Just going to be a bit overkill for the application in hand.

Another vote for Stixall. Gripfill is fine if it adheres but it doesn't always because of the aforementioned skinning problem, although if you push it on and pull it off again, making sure it leaves a bit on each surface, it's usually a sign that you're good to go, especially if you then top each surface up and fit it with a side twist motion. Having said all that, silicone is probably the easiest way of doing it as it sticks to just about any dry surface.

mseries":2fgnzwbj said:
I emailed Everbuild to ask them about this and they said Stixall.

It certainly will work but it's a like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, the last glass splash back I fitted came supplied with a tube of silicone via the manufacturer & its use was needed to comply with the warrantee, so clearly they thought silicone was good enough.

If you prefer to spend more money than necessary I would suggest Tiger seal, it's the bomb

Latest posts

Back