Fitting skirtings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
novocaine":2h2k2fmb said:
Grayorm":2h2k2fmb said:
novocaine":2h2k2fmb said:
brick work wont suck up water, if it did all the bridges on canals would have fallen down years ago.

Edited to change block to brick.

Rubbish. Why do bricks burst below a damp proof line when frozen? Because the ones below the damp are sodden.

normally because water has ingressed though cracks or pores in the face of the brick and expanded. I said it wont suck up water, as in the water will not rise in the brick work, it will rise in cement though.
this is why we use an engineered brick below the line not a common.

I see, so what will happen if we use a common?

Here's a brick that's not absorbing water (because they don't).
Prick.JPG

Here's the video of the brick not absorbing water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmwwm-pXPY

Attachments

• Prick.JPG
    Prick.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 69
Spalling is a term used to describe brickwork that has a look of the face being blown away, this is normally caused by excessive water ingress into the brick face, ...

Just one of the many quotes if you google "spalling in brick".

phil.p":2d4g1b0n said:
Spalling is a term used to describe brickwork that has a look of the face being blown away, this is normally caused by excessive water ingress into the brick face, ...

Just one of the many quotes if you google "spalling in brick".

A common cause is that the brick is porous and absorbs water through approximately the first 1" of its surface. Add & omit frost and ice (expansion & contraction) and it causes the front face to break off

We generally plaster to with in an inch of the floor. And normally leave a 12.5mm gap off the floor to the board. Saves getting moisture in the boards and saves picking up any grit off the floor etc. as when your really flying it you can't always stop at 5mm up from the floor!

Germans don't have skirting and plaster to/from the floor. I wonder what they do differently?

I worked in a place over here (UK) where the owners were German. They went mental when they saw skirting board had been put on!

Leaving a gap does go back to when floors possibly carried moisture (stone). These days, if there's that much moisture in your floor that you're concerned about it leeching up the wall you have a problem with your floor surely?
I think plasterers do it because they were possibly trained that way (tradition), and it's more convenient than to work to the floor and possibly pick up grit. It often leads to a 'bell bottom' on the plaster though which is a pain when fitting the skirting.

Here's some more top quality new-build workmanship... So the plumber (or whoever) fits the sink MASSIVELY out of level and the tiler then comes in and follows the line of the sink. WHY do they think that's acceptable? Whole lot needs ripped out. See this on a daily basis... :roll:

Attachments

• P1060338a.jpg
    P1060338a.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P1060340a.jpg
    P1060340a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 91
New builds = dung!

I would never ever do site work like that! If there's no pride then there's no point!

HandyAndy":6e0113ky said:
Here's some more top quality new-build workmanship... So the plumber (or whoever) fits the sink MASSIVELY out of level and the tiler then comes in and follows the line of the sink. WHY do they think that's acceptable? Whole lot needs ripped out. See this on a daily basis... :roll:

Cant blame the tiler, down to the plumber for not putting the sink on straight or maybe the floor is out!!!!

Problem with trades is they all blame each the one before them, have learnt to do most trades myself for this reason!!

ajmoore1":2hi2lu4r said:
HandyAndy":2hi2lu4r said:

Cant blame the tiler, down to the plumber for not putting the sink on straight or maybe the floor is out!!!!

Problem with trades is they all blame each the one before them, have learnt to do most trades myself for this reason!!

No excuse for either of them. Both should have done their job right regardless of what the previous one did.

Grayorm":365v9dy9 said:
ajmoore1":365v9dy9 said:
HandyAndy":365v9dy9 said:

No excuse for either of them. Both should have done their job right regardless of what the previous one did.

Agreed! Tiler should of cut the tiles to suit the basin if it's that far out!

Alex_E":mani36o0 said:
New builds = dung!

My house was built in 1957 and it's hopelessly wonky ](*,) *

*Please note that while the head-banging of the above smiley is accurate, the straightness of the wall is not.

DTR":3cawski8 said:
Alex_E":3cawski8 said:
New builds = dung!

*Please note that while the head-banging of the above smiley is accurate, the straightness of the wall is not.

Yeah, must admit most new builds I see are pretty decent and I see just as many problems in older properties. I think new builds have an unwarranted bad reputation due to the workmanship that's been discussed in this thread. It's frustrating when you see such basic mistakes being made. I guess in the case of the wonky sink the tiler probably said "I'm not putting wonky tiles in!" and the site manager said "You bloody are - they complete today! Just get it done and it can be fixed in snagging!".

Every house was new once - it's just the older houses have had 100 or so years to fix everything! :lol:

Tell you one thing, and just to be controversial, when it comes to putting stuff on walls give me a new build any day! <runs for cover>

HandyAndy":2d9kds17 said:
DTR":2d9kds17 said:
Alex_E":2d9kds17 said:
New builds = dung!

Yeah, must admit most new builds I see are pretty decent and I see just as many problems in older properties. I think new builds have an unwarranted bad reputation due to the workmanship that's been discussed in this thread. It's frustrating when you see such basic mistakes being made. I guess in the case of the wonky sink the tiler probably said "I'm not putting wonky tiles in!" and the site manager said "You bloody are - they complete today! Just get it done and it can be fixed in snagging!".

Every house was new once - it's just the older houses have had 100 or so years to fix everything! :lol:

Tell you one thing, and just to be controversial, when it comes to putting stuff on walls give me a new build any day! <runs for cover>

You've got plenty of fresh air fixings then have you? :D

Personally I always try and convince clients to have stud work lined with 18mm OSB or cheap ply prior to plaster boarding. Fix anything anywhere then. Also makes a huge difference to rigidity and soundproofing.
You don't get that 'house rattle' when the kids slam their doors!

Latest posts

Back