Fitting out boats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been asked make some cabinets for a narrow boat, sounds interesting but I've not worked on boats before and wondered if anyone has experience. What woods did they use for fit out narrow boats in ye olden days? I assume oak and whatever else was handy? The boat is steel hulled and I'm wondering what's going to cope with the moisture? Does anyone have any suggestions pls?
Thanks,
T

Thanks HS,
I'd assumed marine ply for panels though wbp should work too. The frames for doors and a sofa bed need to be solid wood also any exposed edges on the ply need lipping? Any ideas
cheers,
T

Benchwayze":2fjd9ltb said:
Yep Teo,

Lip them well... Use a Domino! :lol: :lol:

Jokin!

Regards
John

:D Is there anything a Domino won't do?
Do Festool do one of those sustainer boxes of technique and craftsmanship?
When I used to climb we'd buy tins of strength and determination by a company called Guinness, worked a treat for making plans and telling stories, not always so good the next day though!
T

I beleive Festool have their own version of Liquid Courage, it comes in a Green can and costs £125 a shot, but it is very good.

:lol:

There is no copyright in ideas, only in a design, so it needs some enterprising power tool company to come along with a 'hand-held' mini-chain morticing' gizmo and produce an alternative to the Domino. But until then...

It's Festool I suppose.

Regards
John :)

Hi Teo

To some extent it depends on what is already on the boat in question, the very traditional boats had mainly painted and grained ( scumbled ) ply. Oak and elm are also very traditional timbers. Nowadays most contemporary boats use veneered ply or MDF edged with either matching or contrasting hardwood cappings for the carcase with either the same for the door or traditional rail & stile doors. The budget end of the market frequently use proprietary mfc pre-fabricated cupboards ( B&Q, MFI etc.)

For ideas and inspiration try looking here www.newandusedboat.co.uk and specifically at www.aqualinemarine.co.uk

On a well built, well heated and more importantly properly ventilated boat damp should not be any more of an issue than the normal seasonal humidity changes applicable anywhere.

Regards
Richard

Brilliant Richard, just what I needed, many thanks.
T

you're very welcome, this one area where I do have a degree of experience so if I can be of any more help just ask.

Richard

as long as ALL and I repeat ALL surfaces have been seal. As an ex - livaboard [9 years in London, St. Kats :D ] and a few years on board STA ships , keeping the boat well ventilated in more then 1/2 the battle.
If you manage that, then as Richard says any material is ok.

hth,

karl

Thanks both Karl and Richard,
Doubtless I'll be picking your brains again.
Cheers,
T

Latest posts

Back