Fitting Floating Shelves - Are these brackets Good or?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i'm in a pickle, Turns out the wall I want to attach the shelves to Isn't brick but it's BLOCK wall.
I was set on the chemical anchor way, already got m12 rods and started doing Demo work...

What to do now? The porous blocks aren't the best thing to attach anything to them...
Do I still drill the holes and do it the chemical anchor way? Would the BLOCKS even hold anything?

No problem using epoxy on block. The walls in our barn are held together with old lime mortar that is disintegrating and the injection resin even works on that. Drill your hole trying not to go right out the back of the block. Plunge in several times to clear all the dust you can with the bit. Then improvise a way to blow out the hole. Compressor, bike pump etc but mind your eyes as it easy to get an eyefull of dust. Then use your your injection resin part filling the hole and rotate the stud as you push it in helps spread the resin around the hole.

There are blocks and blocks. Some are so soft you can screw a woodscrew directly in to them, and can be broken over your knee. It's just not possible to say it's OK for blocks to take this load. The glue might stick OK, but the block still fail under load.

MikeG.":29b36zd4 said:
There are blocks and blocks. Some are so soft you can screw a woodscrew directly in to them, and can be broken over your knee. It's just not possible to say it's OK for blocks to take this load. The glue might stick OK, but the block still fail under load.

Agreed

I was reading that as concrete blocks but might be thermalight type blocks. Still recon it would work but not tried it so maybe cation should be applied.

I've used many of the fixings the OP refers too and they are just fine, used within their limits. They allow one to adjust the height of the shelf by a couple of mm which I have found, ahem, handy should ones drill holes happen to be not quite level.

blockmacizo2.jpg

This kind of block

Aggregate block (I doubt it's 140mm deep though). Depends when they were made: they can be soft loose stuff or really very hard and sharp. Some are made with power station waste, some contain recycled glass and crushed concrete. Again, with that variation, if you want to hang shelves of this nature directly off it, then good luck to you.

MrDavidRoberts":1q87oggu said:
blockmacizo2.jpg

This kind of block

That looks like a regular concrete block. How easy is it to drill? The lightweight ones which are used as part of the insulation for a home you can drill into with a metalwork drill bit. If you need a masonry bit to drill it be safe to it's a good solid block.

whiskywill":vfi0ohdh said:
morfa":vfi0ohdh said:
But I would echo the others that shelves in kitchens do tend to end up with covered in gunk.

The very reason I can't understand the current trend for open plan living. :duno:

A decent extractor fan will get rid of most of the gunk. We have an open plan home and love it. Me and better half can chat while one relaxes and the other cooks. Might not be great with a pack of noisy kids but for the two of us it could not work better. Not exactly house proud super cleaners but never have much problem with dirt in the kitchen. We have some small open shelves and they are fine.

Back