Hexagon shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy70

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by a member project I would like to make some hexagon shelves.
I don’t think I can use the floating concealed posts to fix them because Its to plasterboard and the shelves are not going to be very deep. They won’t be massive so Could I use a keyhole router bit and hang them from drywall fixings? Open to any other suggestions.

For a good fixing point:
Get a neodymium rare earth magnet. Gently move it across the wall until it feels 'sticky' ( i e magnet found a screw head )
From that position, move it up or down 8" / 10" to find another screw, which will confirm you are on a stud.... its likely the next stud will be either 400mm or 600mm away from the first, so check with the magnet.

Be aware of any nearby radiator pipes or electrics and avoid fixings in those zones 😉

For a good fixing point:
Get a neodymium rare earth magnet. Gently move it across the wall until it feels 'sticky' ( i e magnet found a screw head )
From that position, move it up or down 8" / 10" to find another screw, which will confirm you are on a stud.... its likely the next stud will be either 400mm or 600mm away from the first, so check with the magnet.

Be aware of any nearby radiator pipes or electrics and avoid fixings in those zones 😉
Cheers for the response mate. Some great tips there. Because there will be about 7 small shelves in total in a hoz row, I Had given up any chance of lining them up with studs. I was more concerned about how to hang the shelves from the screws? The thickness will be a max of 18mm I should think.

What depth ( projection off the wall ) will the shelves be? Presumably not much weight. Can the hexagons have a back on them or are they fully open to the wall behind?
I guess where 2 hexagons meet, youll have double thickness, so you could use button fix type 1?

Edit to add: i re_read your o.p and yes i would think hanging them from drywall fixings is fine, theres also those metal plates:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111-165346_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230111-165346_Chrome.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 0
What depth ( projection off the wall ) will the shelves be? Presumably not much weight. Can the hexagons have a back on them or are they fully open to the wall behind?
I guess where 2 hexagons meet, youll have double thickness, so you could use button fix type 1?

Edit to add: i re_read your o.p and yes i would think hanging them from drywall fixings is fine, theres also those metal plates:
I have not come up with the project depth yet. Those button fixings look interesting. Presumably, the button could be held with drywall fixing to the wall and the receiver routed flush into the back of the shelf?

+1 on the buttonfix, they are very good.
If they are too big for your design you could definitely use a keyhole router bit and just hang them on screw heads.
Or you can buy keyhole plates.

If they are all to be connected you could screw them all to a bit of plywood trimmed perfectly. This would increase the surface area so you could find some studs and also use adhesive on the back as well.

Ollie

Last edited:
I have not come up with the project depth yet. Those button fixings look interesting. Presumably, the button could be held with drywall fixing to the wall and the receiver routed flush into the back of the shelf?
Yes, but, from memory the button fix reciever is about 27 or 28mm wide 🤔

Back