Fitting compact laminate worktops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trend or unika jigs are very good for the price especially if you will doing a fair amount of these jobs. Both companies do aperture jigs for your hob and sink cutouts, some of these also give you the holes for taps etc . Can’t help with the last point you make as I’ve never fitted this type of worktop but i assume the best side would be protected from damage with a protective coating or clearly marked .

Hi Doug,
I have a Unika drainer groove jig and it works fine. It requires a standard 30mm guide bush in your router along with a 12.7mm bullnose cutter.

Regarding the 35mm dia hole for the tap,....I use a diamond grit holesaw on any non timber based worktop material.
It's made by Starrett and I've had it for 25 years, still cuts fine. I think you'll find a standard 35mm HSS holesaw would do the job but the diamond grit one cuts a much cleaner hole, albeit a bit slower.

Edit.
I just remembered your final question....😁
In my experience of fitting Zenith compact laminate,.....There is no top or bottom side......The print & finish is the same top and bottom.
Another tip I can offer is to use Baby Oil as a finish on your routed edges including the drainer grooves. It darkens the material core just enough and the finish just looks better.👍

Last edited:
Back