Fitted my DRO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lee,
How did you find the fitting? It looks like a SINO DRO? I have been considering this for my Bridgeport for some time although as I have decided to move house I will probably postpone until the workshop is moved. These appear to be excellent value for money and certainly look the business. I have had enough of reading the imperial dials, accommodating backlash and converting to metric when required.

Be interested to hear how it has improved using the machine and your general impressions
cheers
Matt

nathandavies":1s3wi66e said:
that looks lovely, loads of metal, loads of shed, and loads of wires. what does it do?

Me too? :?

Took the words out of my mouth.

Bob

What does it do?
Digital Read Out

Measures X,Y and Z travel down to less than a thou. Works on glass scales fixed to the axis of the mill and generally makes life easier as machine wear and backlash are effectively compensated for.
HTH

Lee,
Have you lost any Y axis travel due to the X scale? Mine is mounted on the front of my table to avoid any loss.
Essentially the same machine as yours -a VMC from Myford - who else LOL

MM

You won't regret it, I've had them on my mill for about 2 years now and would not go back to a machine without them.

No only will they give an accurate position of the workpiece to 0.0002" they have hand functions like PCD which will equally space any given number of holes around a circle or arc. Place a given number of holes equally along a given length and direction of line and if you can understand the instruction book allow you to use standard cutters to machine curves like this profile.

IMAG0787.jpg

Rod/Bob as Porker says really they are scales for reading the X,Y and Z and Rod the make is Denford although they have different badges put on them also called a VMC or 626 I think Grizzly and Myford do virtually the same mill..

Matt the make of mine is Sinpo but yes they all seem to be the same DRO systems again with different badges, fitting was straightforward although slow as I hadn't done one before, the Z axis (the knee) was the hardest as the scale has to be square in both axis and as you can see in the pics the mills column is tapered so that took me a whole day to sort, but I must say it's brilliant and worth every penny and you wont be disappointed!

Myfordman since I have taken the pic I have reduced the depth of the guard on the X axis by about 10mm which has helped, I have a bellows type guard on the ways and this limits the Y axis a little already and I've measured it at about another 5mm loss, I can live with this as I can keep the length guides at the front of the table and anything big on the mill I can always pull the head forward for more room...

Ah right!

My neighbour made his own for his Myford machine, but then he was an electronics engineer, worked for RS for a while. sadly with us no longer.

Bob

There are a load of people who have pulled apart cheap digital callipers and wired them through an Arduino or RaspPi or similar but you still need the scales and display and to get scales long enough for this size mill the cost is pretty good.

As Porker says once you've bought all the parts I don't think you'll be far behind plus I wouldn't know how, good luck though if you go that route!

Hi, no I don't have any problems with swarf etc as the scales a very well protected, I don't know how I did without them best thing I've added by a long way!

Latest posts

Back