Fitted furniture in Grade 2 listed private home?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a telephone enquiry asking for the supply & fit of a fitted wardrobe for inside a Grade 2 listed private home.
Normally, I'd make the main body in my workshop; then install on-site, with it levelled and secured to the back wall, and trim pieces along the edges.

Would permission from the local authority conservation officer be normally required for this fixed piece of furniture?

I think conservation officers are only concerned if any alterations affect anything of unique historical importance.

If what you are proposing could be theoretically removed, and the room be reinstated as it existed before, that would be a good guide to what is acceptable.

If you are going to use a framing paslode to fix 4x2 onto a wall that has original William Morris wallpaper, there might some slight concern :D

Allow for plenty of scribing in! Ive seen bedroom floors slope by 4 inches, usually away from the central chimney.

I live in a grade 2 listed cottage. It seems that pretty much anything goes inside, but the outer must be true to the original. So no double glazing etc. we have secondary DG. A new fitted kitchen was put in recently, and a log burner will go into the fireplace soon. No problems. Doesn't hurt to call local planning office for advice though

Your posts are much appreciated. I continue to be amazed at the generousity of you sharing your experiences, thank-you.

Back