First Turning for a while - Tamboti

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I'm still not getting a lot of free time, the missus has only gotten sicker unfortunately, but reshuffling care and getting support has enabled me to get to my workshop a little and chill to the sound of whining extractors and wood-shavings! I finally got around to doing a little something that I'd intended for a while as a gift for a friend. The walls are deliberately thick, it's smaller than it looks at only 5x2"(ish) and intended as a pocket-dump for change and keys etc inside the front door.

Made of African Sandalwood (Tamboti), I was a bit disappointed as it's supposed to have a lovely smell, but there's no niff whatsoever to the piece I got, not even from the shavings! Apparently it's rather toxic wood, and I didn't know while turning it, but fortunately I always use the full extractor/mask/eye gear mix anyway, but I think I'll contact S&B to suggest a warning on the site, as a little of the shavings got down my collar, and I got a nice wee rash there a couple hours later.

Tamboti bowl a.jpg

Tamboti bowl 2a.jpg

Not entirely finished here, just a quick lick of wax put straight on after a quick polish with EEE cream straight off the tool for the inside - the wood is very resinous, so ruins even abranet in short order, needs mostly finished with very careful scraping!

Anyway, hope you like it - as usual, comments welcome.

Nic.

Attachments

• Tamboti bowl a.jpg
    Tamboti bowl a.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Tamboti bowl 2a.jpg
    Tamboti bowl 2a.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 1,137
Good choice of wood and robust shape for intended purpose, the sort of piece you still see in use years later and get a shock when (if you can) recall how long ago you made it.

Nice piece.

Tell your friend though not to leave his keys near the front door, lots of folks have lost their cars and worse by having their keys "fished" through the letter box.

I really like that. Good and chunky - fit for purpose.

Sorry to hear your wife isn't well. I am sure all the guys and gals on here are thinking of you.

Greg

Very nice piece Nick, great shape, very neat turning, cracking bit of timber. I echo Greg's sentiments too.

Much appreciated guys, Thanks for the encouragement.

It means a lot, especially from you guys KimG and CHJ, simply cos I follow your work and admire it greatly (not to diminish anyone elses work, I'm just not familliar with it).

I was very chuffed with the piece of wood, I had no idea it'd be so gorgeous once it was turned, the figure is quite simple tho elegant and the contrasting grain is beautiful.The thing that can't be seen in a photo is the gleam that it gets in the light.

If anyone wants to try the same wood, I learned the following from it - be careful of the shavings and dust, (very irritating and toxic apparently) and look out for the finishing. Good cloth sandpaper just gums solid in a second or two, Abranet lasts a little longer, but not by much - tho the trick of wiping it on carpet scraps works well. I was re-sharpening my scraper every 5 minutes (partly to get the hardened gum deposit off the bevel) and extremely delicately scraping the surface back, to minimise sanding. Worth it in the end!

Kind thoughts about the missus, but it's not going well, the cancer's now incurable, and it's just a matter of time. She's being quite inspirational in her attitude and we're coping, but having to make plans now. Back out in the shed to help me cope for myself, which is doing the world of good for the morale and mental state, and the stuff I'm making is cheering her up too!

I'm off to go and finish the inside properly (not happy with the ridges) and re-buff the wax, there's thickened deposits under the detailing. You guys have taught me a lot about finishing, but I'm still a rookie!

Nic.

Nice bowl, well done.
I like tamboti, the grain, smell and colour is marvellous but it does not like me.
I lost the sight in one eye for 3 weeks some years ago after making a bottle stopper.
Still have a stash but am wary of turning it.
Every time I look at the blanks I get itchy fingers.
Phil

One very nice looking bowl and a lovely piece of wood which you have managed to show with a good finish.

Looking after some one who is not well is a full time job, so It is great just to get a few minutes away from it and do some turning.

Hi nic,,
I hav"nt been on the forum much over the last year or so, but needed some guidance today on finishing a bowl, so logged on and spotted this post of
yours and remembered your kind remarks way back.
The bowl is sweet but the main drift of this is to sympathize with you both.
,,,joe,,,and Betty the barmaid

Well that's a beautiful turning Nic. Absolutely stunning piece of wood, the colour, the grain, the contrast with the little "burst" of sapwood and the skill with which you've shaped it. I really like it and would happily part with money if I came across that in a commercial setting. Well done mate.

May I also say that the thoughts of both my wife and I are with you. We have recent experience of this terrible condition so if you don't mind we'll add you both to our prayers that your time together will be as long as possible and comfortable.

Thanks very much Joe & Bob.

Got the full prognosis today, 2 - 3 years and we'll be lucky. :eek: :| :shock:

However, given I was diagnosed with cancer the day before our wedding 20yrs ago, and she had a potentially fatal illness within a year of that, I'd say making 23 years will be a win under the circumstances!

She's a trooper, and one hell of a determined lady, if anyone can beat the odds for a longer time, it's her - but she's still handling it extremely well. The doc was actually rather confused when she didn't even blink at the news, she just said "that's longer than it could be, gives me time to plan in".

That's the spirit lass.

I'll keep up the turning, thanks for the kind thoughts, I was rather chuffed with the end result myself this time. I'll post my further adventures as I go!

Nic.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back