First tissue boxes of the 2013 season for Devonwoody

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally succumbed and said I would suffer the cold winds and weather.

So tidied up the workshop, cleaned the cast iron surfaces (had protected them over winter with T9 inhibitor) and then gave them a coat of polish, yeah really. All machines were given a run and calibration checks, needed to change the brushes on the Triton router which is 11 years old this year because it was sparking. (thanks to Argee who supplied those brushes 5 years ago when I knew there would be difficulties getting spares)
So here is the workshop north end, (the south end has the bench and sliding mitre saw)

workshop pic1w.jpg

The boxes (two) are to be a very basic style to kick off the season also need to settle in to the workshop and remember proceedures also putting that polish on the saws and P/T, things are sliding a bit too easily, might be dangerous.

The timber being used is a length of Ash (had been stored in our bedroom and moisture content is 10.8% which is good) also a small offcut of black walnut has been laying in the workshop over winter

and around 12%. The figures produced by a moisture meter lent me by Marcros.

ash and bw w1.jpg

So here is the first cut of the year, a 90mm x 53mm slice of the ash using the bandsaw which has cut perfectly. (it’s the blade that counts)

first cut w.jpg

Taken to the planer and that only needed to be planed on the wide surface, the edge was so good from the bandsaw cut that I used that face later to cut off a 12mm thick board.

first planing w.jpg

Ash & BW both now prepared and put some weight over to maintain some stability ready for next session.

ash & bw ready w.jpg

end of first day w.jpg

Also made a loaf for tea, nice and crusty.

bread w.jpg

Attachments

• first planing w.jpg
    first planing w.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,636
  • first planing w.jpg
    first planing w.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,636
  • ash & bw ready w.jpg
    ash & bw ready w.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,636
  • end of first day w.jpg
    end of first day w.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,636
  • bread w.jpg
    bread w.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,636
  • workshop pic1w.jpg
    workshop pic1w.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,628
  • ash and bw w1.jpg
    ash and bw w1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,628
  • first cut w.jpg
    first cut w.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,628
Hi, Devonwoody

Not "Loafing" about :wink:

Pete

Think I will have to find another pasttime, two days and still cannot get out to the workshop, wet, cold, windy down here. The wife wont let me do it indoors.

Withdrawal symptoms kicked in later, so went out in 6C temp after lunch.

tues 9th.jpg

Did a 45% mitre test cut, had to do a second one, the first was out.

45% 1w.jpg

45% 2w.jpg

With the blade accurately set at 45%tilt I got out my mite jig and put the first blank board on to the table with the clamps as pictured for those that have not seen this set up before.

mitre jig 1w.jpg

back view

mitre jig 2w.jpg

Eight pieces mitred and also a dado for sliders added to each piece at the router.

pieces mitred w.jpg

Thought I would finish for the day. 4pm and still only 7C.

Decided to glue up the carcasses after tea so crept into the kitchen whilst the wife was watching TV

I use masking tape to hold the pieces in their correct orientation.

glue up 1w.jpg

turn over

g;ue up2w.jpg

glued to shape without clamps, the masking tape pulled all the way round is sufficient to hold the shape whilst glue sets.

glue up3w.jpg

So it was a 5.45 pm finish in the warmth for the day.

5 45 timew.jpg

Attachments

• tues 9th.jpg
    tues 9th.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 45% 1w.jpg
    45% 1w.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 45% 2w.jpg
    45% 2w.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • mitre jig 1w.jpg
    mitre jig 1w.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,392
  • mitre jig 2w.jpg
    mitre jig 2w.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • pieces mitred w.jpg
    pieces mitred w.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,391
  • glue up 1w.jpg
    glue up 1w.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,391
  • g;ue up2w.jpg
    g;ue up2w.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,391
  • glue up3w.jpg
    glue up3w.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 5 45 timew.jpg
    5 45 timew.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,391
Did not start again Wednesday until after lunch, but here are the two carcasses which I glued up the previous evening.

carcass.jpg

Some ash was prepared from the previous board at start of this thread and tops of tissue boxes got to this stage where the apertures are cut to shape in pairs using masking tape and cut with the jig saw.

lid w.jpg

I clean up the jigsaw cuts using a sanding drum as per picture;

sand drum 1w.jpg

Tops are glued up again in the evening after tea, together with another freshly baked loaf.

lids2w.jpg

loaf2w.jpg

The lady says she wants a cupboard shelf made immediately :roll:

Attachments

• carcass.jpg
    carcass.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • lid w.jpg
    lid w.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,331
  • sand drum 1w.jpg
    sand drum 1w.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • lids2w.jpg
    lids2w.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,331
  • loaf2w.jpg
    loaf2w.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Devonwoody

Firstly, get that shelf made for your good wife a happy wife makes life so much easier :D :D , secondly, it's great to see you back in the workshop, thirdly, your crosscut sled appears to only have one runner fitted, can I also see a length of wood which runs along the edge of the table?
I have a cheap Ryobi saw bench which has shallow grooves and thought about using the edge of the table, if that's what you have done how successful is your sled?

Cheers

Baldhead

Baldhead":nqxyrjkn said:
Devonwoody

Firstly, get that shelf made for your good wife a happy wife makes life so much easier :D :D , secondly, it's great to see you back in the workshop, thirdly, your crosscut sled appears to only have one runner fitted, can I also see a length of wood which runs along the edge of the table?
I have a cheap Ryobi saw bench which has shallow grooves and thought about using the edge of the table, if that's what you have done how successful is your sled?

Cheers

Baldhead

Can't speak for woody but if you've got two runners then you need to extend the sled across and make use of the other groove, if you make the fences high enough and extend the rear side of the base towards you so that the base is not cut fully through then the weight of the sled will keep it in the runners, Woody has his blade very high, the blade only needs to be high enough so that the gullets are above the timber.

Andy

BH.
I do also have a sliding holder than runs at the edge of tablesaw, and underneath the table, so it cannot lift off.

The blade is high because I use the full height to set the 45% angle easily and if I wind down after there is the risk that tilt could shift, (it did on another saw make I used to own)

Then I am lazy these days and don't wind the blade down either.

Will complete the boxes hopefully later today but sanding will be left until a dry spell, I intend to do any sanding in future outside the workshop in the garden, dust is becoming a problem for me and also an obsession.

The extra shelf went in a treat,found 4 of those small steel shelf pegs, cut the new shelf to same size as the other and now the lady has just filled it with saucepan lids!, she said dividers would be nice!

Picture of the two basic patterned tissue boxes below. The tops went on well and apertures will be rounded off when the sanding of boxes is completed at a later date. Starting off in the workshop earlier this week and the cool weather has given me some adverse reaction, so confined a bit at the moment.

ready to sand w.jpg

Attachments

• ready to sand w.jpg
    ready to sand w.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,144
Back