First timers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked about having a go at wood turning by a friends sister.... I have agreed she can come and have a taster on my lathe...

She has no real idea what she wants to make, she just wants to have a go....I think she is envisaging a fair chunk of timber that she can use her artistic eye to create into some wondrous piece of artwork....

Any suggestions for a simple project, 1-2 hours, that is suitable for an absolute woodworking/woodturning beginner..and without a decent teacher!? #-o
I was thinking along the lines of a bottle stopper perhaps...

Honey dippers are always a good "starter for ten" I think. Beads & coves, shaping, sanding, finishing....... You can knock out quite a few and have a different style each time. I would imagine, like lots of folks, the student has visions of massive bowls or vases, but we all know a bad experience running before you walk can put you off.
Bottle stoppers, corkscrews, letter openers are all good too for something to take home and be proud of. I would think do the practice cuts on something disposable, then do the take home piece at the end of the day.

May I suggest that if you go for Tazmaniandevil idea of honey dibbers that you have some blanks already rough turned into a cylinder as it is surprising how quick time can fly. How about a spurtle which she can take home and use

GYO-Dibblet-LARGE.jpg

or some simple crimbo decorations

yewmen1.jpg

I have always gone for letting a first timer make a small bowl, this came about from my early days of turning when I had a couple of folks at Philly's Bash asked to have a go.
Their reaction at being able to take away a small finished bowl after a relatively few minutes at the lathe was very satisfying.

The results of doing likewise with my grandchildren and a few other visitors has always led me to do likewise.

colwyn-joins-the-spinny-club-t18931.html

http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/cw/cw.htm

another-family-member-joins-the-spinny-world-t36427.html

There are a lot of basics remaining to be mastered but I think that something that can be used in and around the home even if just to hold a few sweets, coins etc. seems to hold their enthusiasm longer.

I also second the small bowl idea, Be a good idea to have some nice easy cutting wood blanks such as fruitwood or sycamore.

Sharp gouges with easy characteristics such as a basic Crown tools straight grind at say 50-55 degrees... My unskilled two pennies worth.

i was overjoyed when i walked away from my lesson with Derek to be able to walk away with a finished bowl
it will be a keeper and is something to try and replicate

Steve

SteveF":1xvcx3c6 said:
i was overjoyed when i walked away from my lesson with Derek to be able to walk away with a finished bowl
it will be a keeper and is something to try and replicate

Steve

You still had to put a finish on it if I remember correct :lol: :lol: :lol:

geordie":1xvcx3c6 said:
You could make a few different things to show her and let her decide

Geordie

Not a good idea they are only talking about a couple of hours so good prep work like I said blank already cut out and in the round. It is very surprising how time can fly by and letting them pick something which could possible be way ahead of their ability and which can not be finished in the allotted time will help to dishearten them.
As Steve said he went away with a bowl even though as I said it did not have a finish on it(I think) but we had all day and did cover a lot more than just making a bowl

Icicles, snowmen, various other decorations are quick and easy and result in having something to take away.

Pete

small icicles.jpg
standing snowmen.jpg
christmas trees.jpg

Attachments

• small icicles.jpg
    small icicles.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • standing snowmen.jpg
    standing snowmen.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • christmas trees.jpg
    christmas trees.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,048
Speaking as a relative novice I would suggest if you are going to teach someone then the first thing to consider is what are you yourself most confident turning. I am sure whatever she makes will inspire her if she can tell her friends "I made that myself"

I do like the idea of either a bowl or some simple xmas decorations though.

Back