First time on the lathe fail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippychippy

Established Member
Reaction score
e5yruqe9.jpg

My first bowl loved making it only popped out once scary and the fail bit
Is I took to much out of the wall but I know next time so much to learn

Did you go through the wall then? Only it looks to be pretty solid from this angle. Good first effort!

Still not bad for a first attempt. I can see the shape you were aiming for, so that's a starter for ten.
Popping out of the chuck is one of the hazards associated with turning. As time goes on it should happen less frequently. It still happens though, even to the best, so always be aware.
If you have a revolving centre for your tailstock, make up some caps that slide over the top. That way once you have hollowed the bowl, you can bring the tailstock back up to support the work. The wooden cap with a bit of non-slip mat will support the wood without marking it too badly.

Keep up the good work.

yje7avaz.jpg
t
zazuga4a.jpg

Ye it seamed like I hit the noth while cleaning it up with the scraper
And it just caught it I was raging The wood was wet as I was roughing it
How do you guys finish as in sand papers all I had was 120 and I put a
Friction polish on do you have to let it dry before buffing it

Bit of a litany of errors there NC, if you got a dig in with a scraper you must have had it at the wrong angle, a scraper should always be slightly in trail, that is the cutting end should be lower than the handle end and the tool rest should be slightly above the centre of the work, that way you wont get a catch.

Turning wet wood is fine, but it will have to be fully dry before you can begin finishing it, wet timber just clogs up any abrasive, and it tends to tear rather than cut the fibres, meaning any smooth surface will be pretty impossible, especially with a soft timber.

Unless you are specifically turning wet wood for the various effects you can get from that (and that is something you might try once you get more proficient with the proper tools etc) then either stick to using dried bits of wood, or turn wet but leave it a good half to three quater inch thick and put it somewhere dry for a month or so, it will likely warp and shrink a bit, re mount it in the lathe and finish it off when dry.

For abrasives I would suggest that most of us would go through a series to get a fine finish, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400.

Personaly I use the Rhino grip felt backed paper from Richard Findley is is the best abrasive I have found so far for turning.

also once you get done with the paper you will need a sanding sealer, shellac or acrylic are very good.

I strongly suggest you also buy Kieth Rowley's book, "Woodturning, a foundation course" it will help you tremendously.

Good effort NC :D
When turning wet wood keep tightening the chuck jaws up on it as it will shrink the short amount of time it is on the lathe,so worth checking from time to time during the turning process.

KimG":4fe64pai said:
Bit of a litany of errors there NC, if you got a dig in with a scraper you must have had it at the wrong angle, a scraper should always be slightly in trail, that is the cutting end should be lower than the handle end and the tool rest should be slightly above the centre of the work, that way you wont get a catch.

Just to expand on Kims comment.
To avoid catches with a scraper you need to make sure any tendency to dig in will result in the tool being thrown into space , not deeper into the wood.

So above centre on the inside of a bowl.
Below centre on the outside.
scraper1.jpg

For fine finishing with a scraper you need to angle the cutting edge in a trailing presentation, and aim at producing more of a slicing cut rather than a straight sheer as when presented straight on..
scraper2.jpg

Attachments

• scraper1.jpg
    scraper1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,549
  • scraper2.jpg
    scraper2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,549
Cheers guys I did have the scraper pointing up a little ill know next time :oops:
I do have a bottle of sanding sealer so that goes on after I have sanded the wood
I have that book it's a little boring but I am sticking with it Was getting itchy feet
I wanted to get on the lathe I did make his jig for sharing the tool which is a a good jig :D

Nippy

Pretty good for a first attempt.

Chas

Those diagrams of how to use a scraper tool are probably the most instructive I have seen so far. Perhaps you could do similar for other tools and methods of turning?

Thanks a lot
Keith

Chas, That's One of the best illustrations I've ever seen for scraper use, and although I'm not experienced, I read a helluvva lot!

Nippy, you'll get there! I like the shape you were aiming for. Don't get annoyed if things go wrong tho, for us beginners there's no such thing as a "fail" only experiments that show us the ways we shouldn't do things :) My first ever bowl couldn't be posted here, as it was only supposed to be about rice bowl sized, but every time I made an error, I had to cut a bit more off... eventually it ended up with the inside of the bowl being deeper than the outside was meant to finish, and the sides being so shallow it was more a mini ash-tray than a bowl :oops:

Everything is practice, if you don't let it put you off, you'll be better at avoiding the same problems next time. I've only turned a few items so far myself, but I started with just making spindle practice shapes,till I felt that I'd gotten the hang of the different cuts to make the different shapes. I think Mr Rowley in his book suggests that you've got to be comfortable with spindle work before you get on into faceplate work cos it's a little harder. I certainly find it a bit tougher myself.

All the best, and keep it going... another few bits and you're certain to start making things you can have pride in.

Nic.

Cheers nic I went today to the Scottish woodwork show found were my local club is so ill pop down the next week
I gave up a for a bit work commitments and frustration were getting in the way so I'll see how next week goes

Nuffins a failure me old mate its all a learning curve I know of a certain guy that put a hole through a bowl while on tuition in a top turners shop in Gedney ,and to tell you the truth I have done it myself and if all of I were speaking as we should I doubt if there is any turner in the land that has not done the same mistake good effort it will come good there is enough knowledge base here to put you on the right track
Regards
Bill

Keep this piece so you can see it when turning as it will serve as a reminder what not to do next time, I still have pieces I failed with as a reminder. I even make the odd mistake even now and I have been turning for about 5 years

Try sharpening your gouge and doing the finishing cuts with that. It usually leaves a far better finish than you will get off a scraper. The gouge is also less likely to pluck out wet wood.

We'll these were the second attempt was another fail looks good on the outside till you look inside
And see the hole from my screw chuck ha ha so after that I tried using the jaw chuck and my skew
Chisel nicked the chuck and wreck it so that's what's put me off but I will get back to it
hu2yvu6a.jpg

pave8ehy.jpg

yzypypa6.jpg

ja4eda7u.jpg

Hi Nippy,

A definite improvement there. Best advice would be to join a club and you will accelerate your progress and develop your skills. Stick with it, you are showing potential.

Nippychippy":wzm75mls said:
....... after that I tried using the jaw chuck and my skew
Chisel nicked the chuck and wreck it so that's what's put me off but I will get back to it.......

Hope it was on a spindle blank, never attempt to use a skew in planing mode on a bowl blank.
If it decides to follow the end grain into the blank it's likely to be an introduction to the 'Big Bang Theory'

Back