First Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwoodham

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the site but have been here lots of times before while searching for answers.

I have just started setting up my workshop in my new house and already have a sip 01574 table saw. Next on my list, now I have my benches built is to get a scroll saw. I am a big record power fan and have had lots of their tools before but reading the reviews on here and elsewhere has put me off completley I know the issues with cheap tools and have made that mistake to many times and had to buy better quality.

So to get to the point, I have been looking at the hegner, the multicut 1 and am interested in it. But do I really need the variable speed and is there any accessories I should be looking at to get with it? I am mainly going to be doing woodwork with it maybe cutting the odd bit of plastic and very rarely metal. What are peoples opinions/advice?

Cheers in advance.

Good question , I have just negotiated a deal on a multi cut 2 ...not got a clue but like you I am setting up my forst real workshop .

Steve

The Scrolling- scroll saws section of this forum would be a good place to ask this question. :)

I have only ever used a single speed scrollsaw and had no problems except when I tried to cut some plastic when the friction of the cut melted the two cut edges and they fused again.

I currently use a Hegner multicut 1 and am quite happy with that. My late father-in-law was a keen scrollsawer and he had a two speed Record Power machine that he could not get on with. He then bought a two speed Delta saw that he really liked.

I still have the Record Power and Delta saws in storage (in anticipation of disposing of them at some time) and you could try them (and my Hegner) if you wanted, but as you are in Suffolk and I'm on the south coast it's probably not worth the effort.

Misterfish

misterfish":yetmwiy6 said:
I have only ever used a single speed scrollsaw and had no problems except when I tried to cut some plastic when the friction of the cut melted the two cut edges and they fused again.

Misterfish

I've used Sellotape over the line of the cut on plastic and it seems to stop the pieces fusing together. I think the theory is it acts as a heat sink.

I've only ever had a single speed saw and was fine as long as you used the correct blade for the thickness of wood.

Regards Keith

rspsteve":3gx79b7h said:
Good question , I have just negotiated a deal on a multi cut 2 ...not got a clue but like you I am setting up my forst real workshop .

Steve

if you don't mind steve what sort of price are you getting ? and where are you looking to buy from ?

Ben

Back