First post and mobile base question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesInNorway

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is James. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to woodworking, which I try to practice as much as possible from a tiny storage space which may one day earn the title "workshop". In Oslo, Norway. I have been lurking here for some time, and the depth of knowledge and experience shared here is inspiring - thank you.

I am in the process of ordering a "proper" replacement for my portable Dewalt contruction table saw, and am hoping you can shed some light on the following:

1) Given the need to be able to move the table saw out of the way, Is there any reason not to install a mobile base on a table saw?

2) I am ordering the Axminster Trade AT254SB/AW10BSB2 Saw Bench but am having a hard time finding the measurements of the actual base (cabinet) to enable ordering the right size mobile base. If you happen to have this saw or know the actual measurements, could I ask you to share them please?

Thank you,

James

Hi James, welcome to the forum. Only downside I’ve found of my mobile base is that it raised the saw marginally and when I move it into position I may have to adjust it for a bit to ensure it’s totally stable, at times the castor positions mean it’s not totally level.

Cheers

Fitz.

My Kity 419 planer/thicknesser has a similar open stand to many light-weight "construction" table saws.

I made the mobile base a bit bigger all-round than the legs, so that the castors/wheels didn't reduce the area of the base when they swivelled round. The wheels can still swivel in, under the base, but not by much. They are fitted as close to the outer corners as I could arrange. It seems to be quite stable, but I am still careful to lock the wheels when I use it.

So stability is a possible issue, keeping the point where the casters contact the floor as far out from the centre of gravity as possible – and one needs to take into account the increased height if planning to keep outfeed-table or similar flush with the table surface.

Great input, thank you , Fitz and Eric. :)

I have a Scheppach BS4010 which came with a factory base which could raise or lower for moving. I dumped this as it was very unstable, bolted lockable castors on each corner and never looked back, glides like on ice and very stable when locked.

So if anyone needs a BS$)!) factory wheel set...........

I have a mobile base on each of my mitre saw station and disc / belt sander and they work very well. One of those was fitted to my Robland planer thicknesser before I sold it and that was very heavy.
You could make your own out of angle iron or wood and I'm sure there are threads on the forum somewhere but the commercial ones bolt together and are adjustable for size.

One was originally fitted to my heavy SIP 01332 table saw but I changed that for a SIP wheel kit. The base worked well with it, just wanted to use it elsewhere.

Back