First Jewellry box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.V

Established Member
Reaction score
here is my first attempt at a jewellry box.

its not perfect, was built from some 6mm plywood and some scaps of 2x1 i had.

normal_IMG_0044.jpg

normal_IMG_0045.jpg

[/img]

the inside of the lid and the partition bits were going to be covered in felt as well, but i ran out :)

--
Paul

Right Paul...........now we've got to take those skills of yours and set them loose on some decent timber! We'll perhaps also get you to make sure you don't run out of stuff (like felt) before the end of the project!!! :D

Somebody give this man some oak, ash, cherry, sycamore, walnut, beech etc......

....quick!!!

Mike

:)

i will be getting my wood from a timber yard from now on, from reading here and other places it seems that would be best :)

i'll get better with practice, hopefully, so the next box should be better

--
Paul

Paul,

don't get me wrong........your skills have to be good to make something half-decent out of ply and soft-wood. It's the materials that don't help your cause here.......do exactly the same job in a nice bit of quarter sawn English oak (!), for example, and you could have a magic looking box.

Your workshop is coming together nicely, too........

Rob,
Paul and I are about as far apart as it is possible to be and still be within the same county! He is probably an hour and a half from me.....

Mike

Mike's right; you're learnt the basics and can feel confident about moving on to working with real wood sometime in the future! :wink:

thanks guys,

i have a timber yard within a few minutes walk of where i work, so i'll have a go with a bit of oak

mind you, it might take me a while to look at a bit of wood and say thats oak :)

and i have no idea what " quarter sawn English oak" means :?

--
Paul

Paul.V":34bj7ics said:
thanks guys,

i have a timber yard within a few minutes walk of where i work, so i'll have a go with a bit of oak

mind you, it might take me a while to look at a bit of wood and say thats oak :)

and i have no idea what " quarter sawn English oak" means :?

--
Paul
Paul - I suggest you try and team up with a local forum member who can show you the ropes regarding timber and it's selection. Might be tricky to sort out but worth a punt? Fwiw, one of the mods (Waterhead37) has got some good info on wood yards and how to navigate your way around them - Rob

Paul.V":2rk0uia0 said:
here is my first attempt at a jewellry box.

its not perfect, was built from some 6mm plywood and some scaps of 2x1 i had.

normal_IMG_0044.jpg

normal_IMG_0045.jpg

[/img]

the inside of the lid and the partition bits were going to be covered in felt as well, but i ran out :)

--
Paul

It's not what it's made of that matters, the fact that you made it is what counts, well done that man, 10/10. :D

Rich.

Rich":3q4scubu said:
It's not what it's made of that matters, the fact that you made it is what counts, well done that man, 10/10. :D

Rich.

i agree, its quite satisfying that the temporary coffee table i built is still in the front room 18 months later :)

--
Paul

craig-721":mws2m7ki said:
hi paul,
I think that a nice little jewelry box a coat of stain and varnish will finish it off nice.
craig :D

thats on the list of things i need to know how to do :)

Back