First Impressions - David Barron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Came home today to a lovely delivery of new hand tools ordered from David Barron. I have seen a few posts on this site referring to his dovetail guide so i went and watched a few videos.... The quality of the guide looked good and the principle a simple one so i decided to order one along with a knew concepts fret saw, Japanese dovetail saw and the small brass and ash chisel mallet.

So my first impressions of it all - AMAZING. Now i know the Japanese saw or the Knew concepts saw are not specific to David but its the first time i have handled either and i have to say both feel good - The Knew concepts saw is like a feather and despite it being one of the cheaper models i do not feel the quality is at all compromised with changing and tensioning the blade being quick and simple but still reassuringly solid.

The chisel hammer is a beautiful little thing and i had never really realised how much extra control it could give on fine operations as i had leant with a large traditional wooden mallet at evening classes last year and this is what i went on to buy myself. The head of this little mallet is solid brass with one face being curved which i am presuming is intended to allow you to tap pieces together without risk of a square edge marking the timber.

And finally.... the dovetail guide. i ordered the 1:6 guide as recommended by David. It is made out of aluminium and is, i assume cnc milled from a solid ingot. the magnets are of a good strength without being to strong and are covered with a thin low friction plastic film to help the sawing action and to prevent scratching the saw (a couple of extra squares are this are included as spares.) The underside has 2 squares of course sandpaper stuck at 90 degrees to each other to help the guide grip the timber.

I also have to say what a great guy David is to deal with. Very helpful and answers questions promptly and advises honestly as opposed to trying to get more money out of you. Delivery was prompt and everything was well packaged.

IMG_0560 by Peter Cadman, on Flickr

Coincidentally I've been using both the saws you've bought & the guide today, although it was only the guide I got from David (at the European a couple of years ago). I'd be really interested how the brass mallet works in practice as I've been tempted for some time now.
I'm sure the purists would argue you shouldn't need the guide but the accuracy you get is amazing and with David's YouTube videos, my chiseling technique has improved dramatically.

Glynne":1awrr0os said:
Coincidentally I've been using both the saws you've bought & the guide today, although it was only the guide I got from David (at the European a couple of years ago). I'd be really interested how the brass mallet works in practice as I've been tempted for some time now.
I'm sure the purists would argue you shouldn't need the guide but the accuracy you get is amazing and with David's YouTube videos, my chiseling technique has improved dramatically.

i am sure purists would also say i should not be using a hand held power plane for initial cleaning of boards but such is life (hammer)

I am picking up some Walnut, oak and Ash tomorrow night hopefully and i have a Sjoberg smart vice winging its way to me as i don't currently have a proper bench vice or a bench suitable to fit a traditional vice to! So once thats all in place i am hoping to make a cufflink box for myself the bank holiday weekend so will post some feedback on the mallet then.

Just to inspire you to get your bench made so you can use your new tools: -
IMG_1338.jpg

I'm not sure whether you've had a look at any of David Barron's YouTube videos but he does one on chiselling techniques in which he reviews some chisels and their suitability for dovetailing.
I do own some LN chisels but I didn't want to start grinding down the bevels so I got 2 Roberts Sorby ones from the last David Stanley auction (from a stall not the auction) and ground down the sides (to get into the corners of dovetails) and also ground a primary bevel of 20˚ with a secondary bevel of 30˚ as suggested. They work really well: -
IMG_1339.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 2,919
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 2,918
Sadly the Sjoberg smart vice is out of stock everywhere so i am stuck waiting for Axminster to get it back in stock which they tell me is 2 weeks time.....

I have watched a few of Davids videos but not the chiseling ones yet. I have a set of Narex cabinet makers chisels from Workshop heaven which were recommended for dovetail work..... not sure i would be happening trying to grind anything down on my water stones

But in the mean time i have the below haul to get dimensioned :D thats 3 oak boards, 4 walnut boards, 2 ash (and a tiny scrap that will make a nice small serving board) and 2 Cherry boards!!! All that for £60 (big thanks to Paul of Goulden Hardwoods for meeting me in a pub car park and doing a deal)

Best part of it is i can justify a brand shiny new Number 7 plane now.... What to get is the next question :D

Untitled by Peter Cadman, on Flickr

horses for corses, but I like the look of the veritas bevel up planes.

I also like the knew concepts saw that you have bought. I got one last year.

marcros":2wbudkft said:
horses for corses, but I like the look of the veritas bevel up planes.

I also like the knew concepts saw that you have bought. I got one last year.

Please elaborate as I am not a hand planning expert so don't know much about bevel up vs bevel down.

The number 7 Stanley I have just put up for sale he helped me get used to a bigger plane so now I want to get something new to really call my own.

I did wonder if my jack plane could be pressed into service with maybe a different less cambered iron in there but given theat it seems cheaper and easy for me to get ruff boards as opposed to PAL boards and given I have zero room for a planner thicknesser I think a nice new number 7 could be an investment!

I'm split between a nice Lie Nielson or Veritas number 7 or getting a quangsheng number 7 and a number 3 or 4 smother to grow the collection. My jack and block planes are both quangsheng and I've been happy with them but part of me wants to try a top your plane of that makes any sense....

If you currently own, or plan to possibly get any other Veritas planes in the future, the Veritas Low Angle Jointer would be a good choice IMO because it's plane irons are interchangeable with the Low Angle Jack and the Bevel-Up Smoother.

I have a Clifton no.7 which whilst a fantastic plane, gets very little use as I tend to build smaller pieces. I have a Veritas low angle jack which is my go to plane and brilliant. I have both the 25 & 38 degree blades and unless you're going for larger work, you may find a smaller plane ~ no.5 size more use.

I did think about getting additional blades but part of me wants a dedicated plane. In fairness it may be that I've tried using the number 7!i have on too smaller pieces of work and hence why I feel I don't get on with it..... Maybe a number 6 would be a nice half way house

Petey, may I suggest you look at the vices made by Douglas Coates? I bought the D vice which does need an existing vice to go into but the great advantage which benefits me each day is that the D vice allows a great variation in working height. So from planing to marking to sawing to chiselling, you choose the height which suits your style the best.

It's an exquisitely made piece of work. Okay, you might not get it qipuicker than waiting for the other one but perhaps it's better to wait a couple more weeks for something that offers so much flexibility.

Back