First experiment with inside out turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
As a keen beginner I have watched loads of Youtube videos trying to learn the ropes. Something that appealed to me was sectional pieces like the superb boxes Chas seems to be able to produce at will. Whilst browsing I also came across a video on "Inside Out Turning" where the guy makes a candle stick with a heart shape in the middle. It looked simple enough so I thought I would combine the two and give it a go. The result is something I am struggling to describe and cannot for the life of me think what use it could have. Still it was a fun experiment and I feel it has a certain charm so it was not a waste of time.
I have not turned off the waste yet and may add something to the top when inspiration slaps me round the head again.
abiosec4.jpg

abiosec3.jpg

abiosec2.jpg

abiosec1.jpg

Attachments

• abiosec2.jpg
    abiosec2.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,376
  • abiosec3.jpg
    abiosec3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,376
  • abiosec4.jpg
    abiosec4.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,376
  • abiosec1.jpg
    abiosec1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,376
Hi,
As a newbie myself I think that it looks really good.
I haven't yet mastered the chisels but, am still trying, wheras you seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds.
I can only hope that one day it will all click into place, but I will have fun trying.
Keep up the good work.
Keith

The hardest part was seeing the internal shape and following it on the outside.

Now do another one and this time put a ball of wood or something inside before gluing it up LOL. When something has no practical use you tell people it is a sculptural form. As you seem to be drawn (or dragged) towards segmented and more artistic work I look forward to your next pieces.

Pete

I think it's great you are trying different stuff and expanding your horizons, making a good job of it!

Back