first bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David.
That looks to be a big improvement already.Well done :D
Nice looking piece of wood,and good finish.
Just one thought though.It might be best to apply finishes like oil while the lathe is stationary.Let it soak in for a while then wipe the excess off then turn on and polish it up.Could put a wax finish on top.
Paul.J.

hello blister and paul
thanks for your comments
i shall try the oil and then the wax on my next bowl,,,i suppose its all a matter of trial and error to see what gives the best finish,
if i keep chucking bowls i shall have to go to b & q and get some more shelving or give em away to family,
regards
david.

Very nice,David - already a noticeable improvement :D
Shape,finish and thickness look good,and a lovely looking piece of timber.

Finishing is another "black art" in it's own right;most have a preferred method,a lot of which is trial-and-error until you find one that suits you.
Sanding sealer and wax is a favourite - reasonably easy and normally very effective.
Some timbers are very waxy (like tambooti) and can only really be finished with wax.Timbers with irregular surfaces (burrs and natural-edge pieces,for instance) I think are best done with an oil finish,by hand with the lathe OFF.
Melamine is a good hard-wearing surface - I've used it on items I know people are going to throw their car-keys and loose change into.
And I like food-safe oil,or no finish at all,for anything likely to have food in it (fruit bowls,eggcups etc.)

Andrew (who also has lots of shelves.. :wink: )

thanks for the info andrew
i shall nip out tomorrow and buy some oils and beeswax and see how i get on.
it certainly is a very steep learning curve
david.

Latest posts

Back