first bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Established Member
Reaction score

here is a picture of my first bowl
not as good as all the other bowls by you professional turners,,but trying to get there.
regards david

Not a lot wrong with that David for a first bowl.

Only real comment is in relation to finish, need to remove more of the tooling marks with careful progressive sanding that's all.

What wood is it? looks like it might be on the soft side, if it is then even more difficult to get the marks out of course.

hi chas
bought the blank off ebay and they say it is cherry
approx six inches across by two and a half deep,
i was thinking about remounting and seeing if i could improve on the appearance but was frightened of a dig in ,,so,,will leave it as it is and see how my next one turns out
i have a small piece of wytch elm here and shall try that tomorrow,
regards
david.

david":3p3mac43 said:
.....i was thinking about remounting and seeing if i could improve on the appearance ......

Wise to leave well alone once off the lathe, until you have had a lot more experience any attempt to 'improve' an item is more likely to end up in tears.

Fill it with fruit, nuts or sweets and that will be 50% of the problem gone straight away :lol:

David.
That is a really good attempt for your first bowl :D Have to say it again,but it's better than my first attempt.
Nice shape,and quite a good finish.Wait till you've done another half a dozen and see the improvements for yourself.
Keep it up.
Paul.J.

Looking good David. Hang on to it as it will be a bench mark to compare all you do from now on.

Tip. It looks as though you have got the bottom quite flat. I find that that is really hard to do and get a good finish. Keep the bottom inside a bit curved and you will find that you can get a smoother finish with your gouge.

Well done and welcome to the slope. Now you are really on it.

Pete

thanks very much for your kind comments,,had some scarey moments doing the inside but thats down to me ie= tool presentation and sharpening tools etc,
spending a lot of time now reading up in keith rowleys book and also watching dvd's with woodturners at work and trying to follow their techniques.
regards
david.

great bowl my first attempt was terrible in comparison , keep on putting the hours in :D

thanks lugo
its taken me a while but i think i'm getting there albeit very slowly
shall keep at it and hope i get better
regards
david.

As already said,a great first piece :D
Shape is nice,and wall thickness looks good.

So keep on practicing,and above all,enjoy it.We are all still learning with each piece,and I think everyone on the forum is happy to help whenever we can :D

Andrew

thanks andrew
yes i am enjoying it at the moment but i have to say the prospect of dig in's on my next piece scares the life out of me,
but,,i shall press on and learn by my mistakes.
regards
david.

Hi david - I'm glad you've got a bowl now to put on the shelf and say....'..that was my first one'..

Keep at it, and actually read that book :) let me know when you run out of blanks.

Chris.

thanks chris
if it wasnt for the tuition you gave me the other week i wouldn't have been able to do it,
i can not thank you enough for showing me the ropes,
best regards
david.

Nice one David. Much more adventurous than my first bowl.

You might find it easier to start off with bowls that are more curved on the inside (and out, but particularly the inside). That way you don't have to contend with changing from more vertical sides to the flat-ish base. This is a common spot for dig-ins.

With regards to remounting it - if you were to try I'd suggest that you shouldn't be tempted to try cutting again with the gouge or scraper - when you removed the inside from the bowl the outside is very likely to have warped slightly. Even with dry this is possible as removing the inside can remove stresses that have built up in the wood.

Keep up the good work though. And make sure you keep this so in years (or even months) to come you can look back and see how far you've progressed

Duncan

thanks duncan
i wont touch the bowl again apart from re-filling it with toffee's,
as it is on the living room table.(pride of place)
shall have another go later in my ice box of a workshop and make one more curved on the inside,
thanks again for your advice
regards
david.

David,

That is very nice for a first attempt, you should be very proud!

As others have said, keep practising, as it does get easier. In my experience, most catches are due to the part of the tool doing the cutting not being vertically above the point of support on the tool rest. Keith Rowley's book covers this in some detail. Once you fully understand this concept, catches will soon become a distant memory.

One other thing, again as others have said, is that in your novice stage, shallower bowls are much less fraught with danger than the deep style that you have gone for.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

Gary

thanks for your kind comments gary,
i am so proud of it ,it, is on the living room table in centre display,
in fact people will think i am on piece work now as i have just done another one this morning,
only a small bowl from wytch elm and slightly curved and only one catch from start to finish,
so i am getting more confident all the time,shall post a picture soon.
best regards
david.

possibly the wrong title now (my first bowl) as here is a second one i have done this morning
just a little one made from wytch elm approx five inches across by one and a half inches deep.
still some minute lines in it but i am waiting for a small sanding attachment to arrive so i should be able to eliminate them altogether.
thanks to all of you who have given me good advice and encouragement
and i am really on the slippery slope now.
regards
david.

Looking good David.

The finish looks excellent what do you use?

The joint between the side wall and the bottom of the bowl looks to be very good as well.

Keep up the good work the vortex really has you in its grip now. :D

john

hello john
thanks for your kind comments
i wasnt sure what finish to apply so i just put some danish oil on a piece of kitchen roll and rubbed it in as the lathe was running,
it would be very useful if there was a means of knowing what to apply to different woods for the best results and what not to use,
suppose that means more reading in my quest to create a perfect bowl.
regards
david.

Back