First attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after yesterdays events at Westonbirt my youngest daughter,9 years old,must have been inspired seeing all the beautiful pieces of work on display.
So much so that she was really keen to have a go at some turning :shock:
So this morning at 8'o'clock she came into our bedroom asking if she can still have a go :shock: :shock:
So she was still as keen as the night before :shock: :shock: :shock:
So after an hour or so explaining what does what and what not to do she started having a bash and this is the result,just with a little help from me of course :wink:
Piece of Chestnut finished with sanding sealer and Woodwax.

amtatlathe.jpg

amysbowl.jpg

Paul.J and Amy.J.

Youngin' deserves 10/10 for her first attempt. I wish more youngsters would have a go at craft work. But I suppose it ain't cool, my two just couldn't be bothered. Got in the way of playing games on the computer. :lol:

The only negative thing that I can think of to say is that her googles look a bit lare :(

Well done Amy, Excellent piece of work....a couple of more of those and you can start showing your dad how to use the speed control :lol:

Pete

Brilliant Paul, that (for me) is the important bit...encouraging learners of whatever age.

Well done Amy =D> \:D/

I'd be happy for you to help me with some miniatures anytime... you'd have to bring Dad though (sorry :wink: )

( :p watch out Paul... for the day the student surpasses the teacher :wink: )

Well done Amy, =D> =D> =D> better get your spot sorted in the workshops new layout real quick.

Looking forward to you starting your own gallery of turnings.

ctb, judging by Amys craft skills in other areas that I have seen it won't be long before we are having to watch our standards.

Brilliant well done Amy :D

Top marks for encouraging her and letting her have a go, what did she say afterwards, does she want to make hollow forms now :lol: Kepp her going gentle if you can it would be a shame for it to be a one off.

I'm wondering just how many lathes Paul can fit in his shop and still get the car in :!:

I have an idea that there could be a gender takeover in his workshop.

Please tell Amy from me that I think she's done a beautiful job. Lots of youngsters would be intimidated by all that machinery and the chisels, so not only is she talented, she's also a stout-hearted young lady.

=D> =D> =D>

Gill

Thanks for all your replies.Very kind :D
Amy is well chuffed and can't wait to do her next one.
She was so pleased at been able to have a go,even if it meant standing on a box to reach.
Looks like i will have to set it at a lower height for her.

P8260005.jpg

She has loved reading these comments.So excited.
Yes Chas my other 2 older daughters also want to have a go now,which i have been trying to get them to have a go for ages,so it looks like Amy has encouraged them to have a bash :D
Paul.J.

Well done Amy, very impressive. It's great to see someone so young interested in woodwork. Can't wait to see more!

Watch out Paul, they'll start banning you from your own workshop.

Fantastic first effort. Much better than mine.

Dave

Time to worry is when you come in and find they've painted your lathe pink! :shock:

Pete i think you might be right.
It's been "i'm doing another bowl today when i've done this and when i've done that"
All day.What have i started :roll:
Good to know she's still keen,after one bowl :D
Paul.J.

Well done Amy. That's a wonderful piece. =D> =D>

You could check out the AWGB web site http://www.woodturners.co.uk/. They are offering course for youngsters to introduce and encourage them to take up turning. I think they charge something like £10 for a weekend course

Well done for encouraging her Paul. pretty good for a first attempt.

My first thought on seeing the picture of her at the lathe was to wonder if the headstock could rotate a little towards here as she is reaching over a long way and it doesn't look that comfortable.

Duncan

MarkHancock wrote
You could check out the AWGB web site
Thanks Mark.I'm afraid that they are too far away,and all this years have finished.
So it looks as though she will have to stay as my first pupil for the time being.

DuncanH wrote
My first thought on seeing the picture of her at the lathe was to wonder if the headstock could rotate a little towards here as she is reaching over a long way and it doesn't look that comfortable.

Yes good point Duncan.I saw Chas had done this with his grandson.
But she was so eager there was no stopping her :roll:
Paul.J.

Back