First attempt at something practical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst watching my son try to chisel a recess into a piece of pine the other day using a small plastic mallet I had a sudden thought. Why not make a mallet with a little more weight?

I had some sycamore branches I found at the end of my garden from when we trimmed a tree a couple of years ago so with a piece of this in hand I set off for the shed. Attached are the results of my first effort to make something other than just practice spindle turning.

mallet 1.jpg

mallet 2.jpg

mallet 3.jpg

Not sure how well it will stand up to being used yet. Is sycamore a good choice for something like this?

Attachments

• mallet 1.jpg
    mallet 1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,177
  • mallet 2.jpg
    mallet 2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • mallet 3.jpg
    mallet 3.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,177
Nice job! You've identified the problem in terms of drying, but it's a nice bit of spindle turning nonetheless. You know what to do to avoid the problem next time!

Ian

you answered my next question before i asked it Finneyb.

I will give CA glue a try. Do i need to add sawdust as a filler?

I wouldn't bother the sawdust, too messy. Just run the glue in, and leave it long enough to cure fully. You might need to add the glue in stages depending on how deep the cracks are.
Nice bit of turning. (hammer)

I would only use sawdust or even dried coffee grounds for cosmetic reasons ie if I wanted to sand it smooth and add a finish.
In this case, as stated above, just run the glue in. Needs to be thin CA, it comes in different thickness.

Brian

To answer your question about sycamore, it's probably a bit soft for a mallet.

They are usually made of apple (heavy and hard) or beech but since it was free and you enjoyed making it then you can always make another.

On the bright side it's unlikely to damage the chisels :wink:

procell":1radnkq3 said:
Not sure how well it will stand up to being used yet. Is sycamore a good choice for something like this?

Not really - it's not really hard enough to stand up to much wear as a mallet. Harder woods like holly, apple, even hazel would be more durable. Having said that, though, they are even more likely to split than your sycamore! Sycamore is very good for items that will get used in a kitchen with food as it's a bland wood that does not impart any taint to the food. Sycamore is also fairly easy to turn and finish and a good wood to practice with.

Thanks for all the advice. I am learning a great deal of useful tips from you guys.
Its nice to find a skill where people are not afraid to share their experience with others. :D

Back