Fig stump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
I dug out a small fig tree from our garden last year. Not very old. I kept the stump with some bits of root attached and about 18" of trunk. Widest part is maybe 8" at most. I liked that tree, though it was too big for our postage-stamp sized garden (ok it would be large letter postage stamp if I'm going to kick the poor old analogy around a bit) so I'd like to make something from it. Very limited resources, turning isn't an option and my carving ability is distinctly lacking.

A piece of branch I kept went weird and splitty as it dried - which could be a nice effect.

Would anybody care to venture any suggestions?

Something to keep around the house and that you'll touch, ( small sculpture(s) ) fig wood smells gorgeous.
I've kept some that we had when we lived in the south, still has the smell, but haven't got around to using it yet, "the cobbler's kids" syndrome. If you don't feel up to carving it, just sand it ( do not varnish it or wax it ) and keep the sanded branches upright in a ( so that they protrude as much as possible without falling over ) in simple wooden box ( more like a square section wooden vase, can be any wood ) . gives you the base for a dried branch dried flower arrangement, change the other branches / dried flowers with the seasons. A bit of light decoration ( simple pyrography ) or chip carve or even paint around the top of the box on the outside and you have a "piece" ..add pale branches for winter , yellow in spring, red in summer , orange in winter...or something similar.

Last edited:
That's a nice idea. You're right, it does smell lovely! No branches though, apart from a short section, just a good length stump (a very short trunk, I suppose) with some forks on it. I might cut the top section off and see if that will work. Maybe the start of a fairy-house type of thing. Hmmm. Thanks!

The sap of fig plants can be irritating to the skin and cause a severe reaction in hypersensitive people and pets. from Gardners world .com.
I have several fig trees which have the occasional prune, I think unless you are allergic to figs it is unlikely to kill you.

Photo.
IMG_20230524_202827.jpg

Latest posts

Back