Tree Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a piece I posted in a thread about veneering, which several people have suggested I should post in a separate projects thread, so here goes.

I wanted to make a small dining table for my daughter and a circular one seemed like the way to go. I had the idea of something that was inspired by the source of much of our happiness and not a few of our woes - the tree. From there the concept just sort of developed and evolved over quite a long period before I started making it. I have to give credit for support and advice in the making and solving the engineering problems to my good friend Bernard Allen, West Dean tutor, where I did quite a bit of the work on short courses over a couple of years.

I am in the process of writing it up as an article for publication. Got half way through it and rather lost the motivation as I am also in the middle of fitting out the workshop following an extension to it, but I will do it eventually.

IMG_3349m.jpg

The main veneer is a burry maple and the small segments are burr elm. The top has a ply core with solid sycamore lipping. The idea is to suggest a tree canopy with the lower branches shaded, hence the elm. Because it is supposed to suggest a natural form the segments are random in width and outer radius with the centre line not necessarily on a line central to the middle of the table.

IMG_3361m.jpg

The underframe is intended to be as tree-like as possible - roots, trunk, branches - and is in steam bent local ash.

IMG_3375m.jpg

A view of the underside of the table showing the "branches" and the ply ribs, veneered and lipped in Walnut, which stiffen the frame sufficiently to reduce flex to an acceptable level. There are also ribs in the bottom but these go right across and are half lapped.

IMG_3391m.jpg

An arty shot through the central glass panel in the top showing the sycamore/maple leaf (carved in Lime!) which has fallen from the canopy. And no, I haven't installed under top lighting! This was done with four sheets of white paper stuck to the underside of the table and an anglepoise pointing up from the floor. Can't take credit for the photography which is by my daughter. I am pleased to say she is delighted with the piece.

Jim

That is absolutely fantastic, well done indeed!
I can understand the reluctance to complete the write up. The making's the fun bit after all. But please do complete the paperwork, if only to help the rest of us mortals who might wish to attempt something similar.
Again Fantastic!

xy

That is beautiful! Really very nice. It would be great if we could have a shot of the underside from a distance.......not quite so arty as the one you've posted, more so that the construction is a bit more obvious.

Great stuff!!

Mike

That is quite simply the most beautiful piece I have seen in a very long time. Breathtaking!

Fantastic, It works on every level from design, construction, materials used and finished piece. Beautiful work

Dave

That's not a table - that's a work of art!

Seriously, I'd be too scared to use it as a table for fear of it getting the slightest scratch! That and the fact that anything placed on it might detract from its beauty!

Awesome!

yetloh that is absolutely stunning
your daughter must be very pleased with it and very proud
to show off the table her dad made for her :D
thanks for showing it to us
cheers paul

Love everything about it, particularly the leg frame. The top is obviously very good but the real beauty in it (for me) lies in the legs and the leaf detail.

Did you come up with the design completely yourself or did you have any inspirations?

=D>

That is just stunning! I love everything about it. Sounds like it was a couple of years work - on and off? And like the others - more piccies please!

:tongue9:

That table epitomizes everything that I love about wood and woodworking, It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful wood is when put to good use, or indeed in its natural form.

Very well done indeed.

Andy

That is truly a stunning creation. Inspired design and impressive execution. I would dearly love to be able to make something like that one day. Still practicing the basics at the moment.

Questions:

Why veneered and lipped ply for the knees under the top instead of solid? Is it for stability?

Did you scribe the sycamore edging to the top from the veneered panels or the other way around?

Back