Firewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to my local firewood seller who let me select my own wood and bought 2 bags of logs @ £2.00 each.
I filled one bag with what I think is Yew and the other bag was filled with various sorts of wood that were heavily Spaltered.
I sealed the pieces and put them to dry out about 2 months ago I could not resist the temptation to try some out!
Here are my attempts

yewvasexg4.jpg

yewvase2bu9.jpg

Vase in what I think is Yew 5 1/2" high 3" wide

yewbowl2if5.jpg

yewbowlgt2.jpg

Bowl 5" wide 3" high again in what I think is Yew

spalsbirchfm2.jpg

spalsbirch2bl9.jpg

Weed Pot in spaltered wood think it may be Silver Birch 4 1/2"high 2 1/2" wide

firewoodcopyph3.jpg

firewood2copycb0.jpg

Potpourri bowl in spaltered wood no idea what kind

Although the vase in the first pic has distorted and gone out of shape I will still keep it as I love the markings on it and it may remind me to let the wood dry out more before I use it.
Needless to say I will be going to my local firewood seller again and looking through his pile

Phil

All very nice - bet you'll never look at firewood as "something to burn" ever again :wink:

Andrew

Hi Phil.

Some gorgeous figured timber there, and I like the results. Must take a look around any firewood places round my way.

Lucky you.

I'd say that the first 2 aren't yew - the second one looks like Plane. Not sure about the first one, but it could be Plane again

Duncan

Paul.J":15pgb1xb said:
Lovely pieces Phil.
What finish did you apply :?:
Paul.J.

As the wood was not fully dry I decided to do all 4 pieces with Acrylic Laquer

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky you.

I'd say that the first 2 aren't yew - the second one looks like Plane. Not sure about the first one, but it could be Plane again

Duncan

You may be right I have never seen Plane I just got the impression it was Yew

Good score there sooty, I think I go with Russel on Beech for the first one, others? ; but that last one, figuring to =P~ for. You seem to have picked the best option of form for each piece, although I sometimes wonder if it is the wood that is doing the choosing, sort of 'who/what is educating who'

Back