Firewood, again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

What sort of moisture levels do people dry out their firewood logs to? I should have a ton or so of eucalyptus logs this year, I might be able to store them for a year out of the way and sell/swap them for something of interest at a later date.

Just wondering, cheers.

I was looking at a couple of sites that sell logs for burning and they both said that they aim to sell logs with a moisture content of 25% or less. HTH

Sent from my AN10BG3 using Tapatalk 2

Eucalyptus is that a safe burning wood - I always understood it to be very volatile and "spitty"?

Rod

Reputable firewood sellers, such as myself when I have too many logs left over from milling, would only sell logs with a moisture content of 20% or less

Harbo":3tdoltx6 said:
Eucalyptus is that a safe burning wood - I always understood it to be very volatile and "spitty"?

Rod
I think the high oil content is part of the problem they have with fires in Aus but I wouldn't swear to it.
Wonder if you get that lovely chest clearing smell from the wood ?

Without going off thread too much - my younger daughter had a chimney fire ( in their flue) and had to call the Fire Brigade out.

Wood burning stove etc knackered after they had put it out.

Insurance wouldn't pay out because they couldn't prove they had swept it out regularly - every 6 months!

Rod

Last year I cut down a Eucalyptus and left it in large rounds, ready for splitting this year. I should have split it immediately as it tends to go a bit spongy and is very difficult to split once it's had some standing time.
So my advice is get it split straight away if you haven't already

Back