Fireguard WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomjenyon

Reaction score
Having recently got a fire in our sitting room, I now needed to make a sturdy guard due a resident 2 year old. I currently have a small stash of oak of varying quality from HJpugh, so decided to dip into some of that.
1wood.jpg

2battons.jpg

3router table.jpg

More to follow

Attachments

• 1wood.jpg
    1wood.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 2battons.jpg
    2battons.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 3router table.jpg
    3router table.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,163
Fireguard installed and tested today. The frame was mitred and had biscuits to secure. I have to admit I also screwed in some metal plates in the groove in the corners to make it secure to allow it to be glued all at once.

glue.jpg

clamp.jpg

guard.jpg

finished.jpg

Attachments

• glue.jpg
    glue.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 984
  • clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 984
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 984
  • guard.jpg
    guard.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 984
Looks good. I'm not sure I'd be able to sleep at night thinking of that timber heating up in front of the fire?

I gather it doesn't get 'that' hot?

Very pretty but, after consultation with my tame Fire Officer friend, I can tell you that wood is not acceptable as a fire guard.

Richard

thomvic":a0el2mxz said:
Very pretty but, after consultation with my tame Fire Officer friend, I can tell you that wood is not acceptable as a fire guard.

I could understand that were it a) an open fire and b) a traditional across-the-grate fire screen... our wooden mantel/surround is just as close to our "natural flame" gas fire as this guard is to a closed stove, I wouldn't automatically expect problems.

Thanks for comments, it doesn't get that hot at all. fortunately there are no Health and safety officers around here, but of they were they would find there are no combustible materials within 22.5cm of the front of this closed door gas stove so fitting with all regs. I guess it is more of a toddler guard than a traditional fireguard, there are no spitting coals (unfortunately)

Thanks, not too much noticeable movement in the wood, one of the mitres has opened up slightly on the inside but otherwise all good so far,

We have just had an extension bedroom built and because we have a low opening window we need to put a guard in front of it in the case the young child we don't have , undoes the safety catch and falls out. It also has to be removable so we can get out in the event of a fire. I may end up doing something similar to this. Of course there is a good chance it will be removed as soon as the building inspector has seen it.
Does it conform the 99mm gap rule ?

Back