fire surround incident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'm just doing a few jobs on the house getting ready for the plaster ...... you know chasing the odd wire in, removing the fire surround etc

Then what do I go and do ............. knock over the fire surround which breaks both its legs .......... this was followed be much swearing and some more of the fire surround breaking as I kicked it!

The one plus point was I'm not to keen on the design and we were only keeping it to save a bit of money.

So it was quickly decided that I'll make a new one .... I then pick up my mail and open my new copy of Good Woodworking and guess what there a Steve Maskery article on making a fire surround.

However, once the rooms plastered I'll be fitting a recycled solid wood floor and SWMBO thinks that the new fire surround should be painted I'm not to sure.

so the question is make out of pine and paint or use a nice wood and seal??

so if anybodys seen or got a wooden floor and would like to give me some ideas I'l be a very happy chappy (as said didn't like the old one and it gives me an excuse to make some shavings)

Hey Nickson,

Sorry to hear about you woes.

I built a fire surround a while ago, thread is here

I have a pitch pine floor and I think the unpainted fireplace works very well.

Hang on... I'm just going to go downstairs and try to imagine it painted.
No, make it out of a nice wood.

Off cut are out ........ it's a parquet floor I think it's a mahogany like wood that's a bit harder (any ideas?) here's a picture of a few blocks after they've been roughly cleaned up

DSC01203.jpg

Back