finishing willow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_kelsall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm after a little advice on how to finish willlow. I'm currently using 120 grit sandpaper to remove any lips/ tool marks etc followed by Mirka CARAT sandpaper in 150/ 180/ 220/ 240 grits. Then finishing using Fiddes (light) supreme wax (buffed to a finish). I'm getting a pretty good finish with this method but wondered if anyone can recommend a better method? You can still see slight scratch marks when held up to the light.

Ps. The willow needs to be a waxed finish.

Thanks

Have you tried applying a couple of coats of shellac sanding sealer and then finishing off with wax polish? This process gives a fantastic finish.

Woodfinish Man":mzn3drr9 said:
Have you tried applying a couple of coats of shellac sanding sealer and then finishing off with wax polish? This process gives a fantastic finish.

No I haven't, is there a brand or certain product you would recommend?

Woodfinish Man is right, you will get a much better finish if you prime your wood with shellac sanding sealer first which will stop the wax from sinking into the wood. You do not have to use shellac though, you could use several things to prime the wood that you may already have like linseed oil or varnish, thinned down. brush or rag on one coat allow to dry then flick down with 240 grit and then apply your wax.
If you are using Fiddes supreme wax, a good way of applying this is to use a clean good quality 2" decorators brush, dab the tips of the bristles into the wax and brush onto your piece, when you have applied the wax all over start buffing with the same brush using long quick strokes. At first nothing will appear to be happening but keep going and you will end up with a lovely shiny streak free finish.

mrpercysnodgrass":3infj59d said:
Woodfinish Man is right, you will get a much better finish if you prime your wood with shellac sanding sealer first which will stop the wax from sinking into the wood. You do not have to use shellac though, you could use several things to prime the wood that you may already have like linseed oil or varnish, thinned down. brush or rag on one coat allow to dry then flick down with 240 grit and then apply your wax.
If you are using Fiddes supreme wax, a good way of applying this is to use a clean good quality 2" decorators brush, dab the tips of the bristles into the wax and brush onto your piece, when you have applied the wax all over start buffing with the same brush using long quick strokes. At first nothing will appear to be happening but keep going and you will end up with a lovely shiny streak free finish.

Superb advice, thanks a lot!!

Latest posts

Back