Finishing spalted beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Established Member
Reaction score
I have managed to get hold of a lovely slab of spalted beech, and wondered what folks think is the best way to finish?
I have made one bowl out of it so far, and finished with sanding sealer and Woodwax 22. I'm not sure as a new turner how long this nice shimmery, shiny finish will last though? :?

I have other finishes available, just wondered what the consensus was?

Thanks guys.

As long as the bowl is basically for display or holding fruit such as apples or oranges then the finish should hold for years, if handled a lot then it may dull somewhat but easy enough to bring the sheen back.

If you want long term gloss then Shellac can be hard to beat, spalted wood can be a bit punky so it tends to absorb quite a lot, but if you are patient and wait for it to properly dry between coats it will soon tighten up. I would apply a fairly heavy base using about equal amounts of shellac to spirit or slightly less spirit, this builds up well if you have very absorbent areas, once you have an overall covering, spend time cutting it all back with some 400 grit to get a good smooth surface, then apply further coats of a slightly thinner mix with a rubber till it has built up a sufficiently deep coating (not too deep, but enough to withstand the next step) leave to dry for 24 hours in a warm dry place, then remount on the lathe and use buffing compound with a soft cloth to gently abrade the surface to a high gloss. You don't need the lathe to spin too fast, nor press too hard, let the compound do the work. Chestnuts buffing compound is great for this, you get lots in a bottle too. I also use water to lubricate the cloth during this stage.

Once the buffing is complete, polish is with a dry cloth, no need for wax or any other covering.

You can also use the buffing wheels to polish it up, use shrt light passes with the tripoli wheel, run it at about 1100 rpm, then polish with the diamond white with the wheel running at no more than 600 and just light pressure, keep it moving, if you sit in one spot it will quickly heat the shellac and melt it causing a drag mark, which will definitely be a drag! (fully intentional pun!)

Back