Finishing skirting/architrave - best way ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a whole lot of skirting and architrave to fix.

Got delivered today and it's softwood (175mm ogee skirt / 63mm ogee architrave).

So far I've put knotting solution on the architraves and also used primer on them (only on the faces - not the back).

I've just started to do the same for the skirting but thought I'd ask what the best/most normal way of doing all this was....

My plan was to:
1 - knot
2 - prime (oil based)
3 - light rub down and glue any splinters / fill any holes.
4 - undercoat
5 - fix to the walls with screws and wooden plugs (two vertically every 600mm or so ?)
6 - paint with eggshell or gloss (probably eggshell as I find I'm not that good at gloss work)

Any help on this would be gratefully received !

Thanks
Ed

Ed, I am no expert but I would fix after priming - because you are best undercoating over any making good. Your fixing regime sounds OK to me but if the walls are good and straight and the timber reasonable so you may be able to use adhesive like no more mails which is a lot quicker.

Jim

I'd recommend using nails instead of screws.

Mainly because it's much easier to fill a nail head hole than a wide screw head hole, but also because if anyone does need to remove anything in future they can lever a board off without having to dig out and undo every screw / bringing chunks of wall with it.

Back