Finishing rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I made a set of kitchen doors and when I was painting them I had trouble finding enough places to put them while they dried. I promised myself that I would make a drying rack, and so, with another set of shutters to make, I have finally got round to it.

It's very simple; a pair of L-shaped legs with a series of arms attached, which support the painted workpiece. The width can be varied by adjusting the cross-brace at the back, and the whole unit folds together so that it can be hung on the wall when not in use.

I had a length of 6x2 left over from the workshop build. I've not been able to use it for anything decent as it was twisted like a propeller, but it was fine for this. I ripped it down and planed it up to finish with two pieces 1.7m long and 70x40mm in section. It is very rough stuff, with bits being ripped out in the thicknesser, but for a job like this, that does not matter.

I cut the feet out of the same stock.

I cut a mortice in each foot using my biggest mortice chisel, 5/8”, which gives the classic one-thirds proportion. I cut through from each side to give me a through-mortice.

P1040761.JPG

I now had a decision to make. Do I cut the tenons on the bandsaw or the tablesaw? Given the length of the legs, I would normally cut them on the bandsaw. I have a very good jig which makes it pretty foolproof to get the tenons exactly the right size and in the right place within the thickness of the workpiece. I very modestly call it the Ultimate Bandsaw Tenon Jig. But it does rely on having the right blade on the saw and that being set up very well. My bandsaw needs a bit of attention at the moment and I wasn't going to trust it with a precision job like this.

I also have the Ultimate Tablesaw Tenon Jig. It cuts the tenon upright, though, and I wasn't sure how stable it would be with a workpiece sticking up 1.7m, I've never used it for anything so tall before. But I needn't have worried, it was perfectly stable, but the saw did baulk a bit at making a blind cut at its full height.

P1040763.JPG

You'll notice that the jig has a front and rear guard built into it.

I cut the tenon shoulders with a crosscut sled.However I discovered that my sled has warped somewhat having been kept in a damp barn for a couple of years. I shall have to remake it. I don't use it very often, and indeed I could have cut them off on my SCMS as it does have a depth stop, but this works well for tenon cheeks. It does require the removal of the guard and the lowering of the riving knife, but I have a stand-alone guard which keeps my fingers from accidentally getting too close.

P1040765.JPG

The width is trimmed on the bandsaw

P1040766.JPG

The result is a tenon which not only fits perfectly but also finishes flush with the foot requiring no planing to clean up.

P1040766.JPG

Before assembling the leg and foot, I needed to cut a series of mortices for the support arms. If I had a plentiful supply of dowel I would have used that but instead I have a pile of slats from an old airing cupboard. I can use them. So I cut a series of mortices with my Domino. Yes I know, I know. But you could do exactly the same thing with a router, it would just take a little longer.

P1040769.JPG

I don't have a clamp long enough to close up the joint, so I decided to draw-bore them.

I drilled a couple of 8mm holes through the mortice, close to the edge, stopping just a couple of mm short of going right through.

P1040771.JPG

Then I marked through with the drill to show where they would come.

P1040772.JPG

But the actual corresponding holes in the tenon are drilled a couple of mm closer to the shoulder, so that the holes are very slightly staggered.

P1040773.JPG

I shaped a length of dowel by hand with a block plane and hammered it in. The offset applies pressure so that the joint closes up tightly without any clamps. A quick check for square and the leg is assembled.

P1040774.JPG

Attachments

• P1040761.JPG
    P1040761.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040763.JPG
    P1040763.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040765.JPG
    P1040765.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040766.JPG
    P1040766.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040767.JPG
    P1040767.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040769.JPG
    P1040769.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040771.JPG
    P1040771.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040772.JPG
    P1040772.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040773.JPG
    P1040773.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1040774.JPG
    P1040774.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 1,042
The next morning I came to the job to realise that I needed to install a series of embedded nuts for the cross-brace. This will allow me to alter the width of the stand to accommodate different lengths of workpiece. This is most easily done on the drill press, drilling a shallow 10mm hole for the nut and then drill right through at 6.5mm for the M6 Bristol lever. The foot gets in the way, somewhat, but I eventually managed. It would have been much better to do this operation before the foot was attached. A washer and a pair of nuts locked together on a length of M6 All-Thread allow me to pull in a normal M6 nut.

P1040779.JPG

P1040780.JPG

The cross-brace at the back is just an X-shape. A 6mm hole in the centre takes a bolt and Nyloc nut, the top end is screwed to the top of the legs and the bottom end drilled to take the Bristol levers. One thing that I discovered is that I need the holes for the Bristol levers to be closer together at the bottom than they are at the top. Moving the cross-brace down a bit near the top makes little difference to the width of the stand, but the same adjustment at the bottom makes a huge difference to the spread of the feet.

To be honest I'm not sure I've got this cross-brace right. I might make it shorter and see how that affects the spread of the legs. I've a feeling that if I reduced them to, say, 1m, then I would get easier adjustment. It will mean embedding more nuts, though.

I prepped the arms. These are recycled from an old airing cupboard rack but were in nice clean condition, straight with very few knots. I rounded the edges on the router table to match the round-ended mortices, then glued them in, checking for square as I did so.

P1040776.JPG

P1040782.JPG

I've used them for the last coat of paint on some window shutters that I am making. I really wish I'd made these years ago, they are a boon, and a very suitable project for tatty wood that is no good for anything else other than the fire.

P1040783.JPG

Attachments

• P1040776.JPG
    P1040776.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • P1040779.JPG
    P1040779.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • P1040780.JPG
    P1040780.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • P1040782.JPG
    P1040782.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 1,032
  • P1040783.JPG
    P1040783.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,032
It's good to see you using the new workshop. It's a bit cold at the moment though.
Is that a wardrobe in thee last piccy?

Hi Mike
Yes it feels good to be pottering again, too.
That cupboard is a very tatty ex-school cupboard. It was being thrown out at the Community Workshop where I volunteer. I thought to myself I thought, "I can find a home for that". The doors are made from veneered chipboard, and one was very badly, but quite cleanly, split, so I simply glued it back together, sorted out the sloppy hinges and I had a storage unit for nowt. There were no shelf supports with it, so I just screwed some battens to the insides.
I could do with half a dozen of them.

Latest posts

Back