Finishing oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a coffee table in oak and would like a light coloured finish - can anybody provide advice please?
2022-12-02 08.55.06.jpg

Personally I don't see that as a very light oak finish. It is however quite brown for oak, I think oak tends to have more red/orangy tones. Oil finishes will tend to darken wood more than water finishes. I had some good success with PolyVine acrylic varnish, keeping a light oak colour, the finish is however a definite varnish not a wood feel.

65565-2BE34C5D-4205-429C-AAC4-08EA773F8866.jpeg

I'm making a coffee table in oak and would like a light coloured finish - can anybody provide advice please?View attachment 148659
I'm totally in agreement with Fitroy. Acrylic/water based will tend to keep the wood lighter in both the short and long term. I use it on Birch plywood for this very reason, but you can tell it's a varnish.
I have just oiled an oak surface with Osmo Top Oil - Clear Matt 3058. After ?? year of using Danish Oil I'm now a total convert. Yes it is expensive but it's a joy to use and so easy to get a wonderful finish. The colour of the finished surface is slightly lighter to the example photo you posted.

Colin

I've been using osmo oil for some oak door and window frames that I wanted to keep as light as possible. It obviously does darken it but not as much as something like danish oil. Osmo do a white oil but that is adding pigments.

When I made my oak bed I wanted something that wasn't full of chemicals so I made my own wax with bees wax and safflower oil (a semi-drying oil), which seems to have worked well but again it did darken the wood a bit.

Another vote for Osmo Oil. If I want greater contrast and colour in the grain then I use Liberon Fine Finishing Oil which really makes the grain pop. Otherwise I use clear Osmo Poly-X. Of the water based ones, I can vouch for General Finishes Top Coat which is very good. The main difference between the finishes is that water based will go on and self level using a brush or sponge and take only a few coats (3 at most) but as they coat rather than soak in, you're applying a surface varnish finish where as oils will penetrate to some extent and rightly or wrongly I always felt this helps to nourish the wood surface as well as producing a more natural feel. If oiling, I leave for at least a week to cure after my last coat, then burnish with something like Liberon Black Bison clear wax for a lovely sheen. When finishing Oak, I also burnish the surface after a light sanding using a smooth oak block before applying the finish.

I use Osmo Raw to keep lighter woods as natural as possible, works well with birch ply not tried with oak however.

So I'm a convert. Until earlier this year, I used Osmo. Now I will only use Rubio Monocoat. Same principle as Osmo but only one coat and it comes in something like 64 shades. Pure is the "natural". Here's a table I may have previously posted.

Attachments

• 4852010D-E308-4BED-BBC8-06518D5DAD0D.JPG
    4852010D-E308-4BED-BBC8-06518D5DAD0D.JPG
    737.9 KB · Views: 0
To keep a light colour I would use either an acrylic sealer with wax or and acrylic sealer with a clear acrylic.
Osmo is a very simple finish but personally I find teh fumes a bit unpleasant
I am a believer in Danish oil but it needs quite a lot of work compared to OSMO

I agree with you there. Once I tried Liberon FF Oil years ago, I never really looked back. I guess if falls into "Danish Oil" category although I find the end result better than most other D/O's I've used. Osmo Poly-X clear is the only other finish I use these days

Back