Finishing oak with a deep luster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some wardrobe doors and face frame to finish for a client. The oak will have a light application of dark oak stain to bring out the grain pattern, but then they want a silky smooth finish.

I spray quite a lot of varnish finishes, but don't have much experience of other techniques. To complicate matters the face frame would have to be made and possibly hand finished on site. The doors and face frame should match as well as possible.

Any ideas about what finishes to apply would be gratefully received.

What about Chestnut melamime lacquer? Quick drying and gives a good finish.

Cheers

Karl

I would use Osmo Poly X. It is easy to apply in situ, hard wearing and the more coats, the more sheen.

Thanks. I have been looking at Osmo Poly X for a while, not had chance to play. It seems to be targeted at the flooring market. Does that mean its not quite so good for none flat surfaces i.e. moldings, door panels etc?

have you tried a coat of tong oil?
so so easy to apply and gives a lurvly smooth finish

On a similar note i've had good luck with Danish oil over oak - it comes up a lovely honey colour that accentuates the grain and really glows. It doesn't have that 'coat of plastic' look of the heavy lacquers that sit on the surface because it works by impregnating the wood while building only a very thin film on top.

It takes a lot of coats (maybe 5 or 6) if you want to bring it up to a smooth surface, but coating is quick - you rub it on with a rag or a piece of sponge (the latter builds faster) per the instructions.

Sand it well before coating, as you will otherwise have problems filling the fairly coarse grain. Even sanded and with many coats you tend to get pores left unless you sand every second coat with say 320 grit while the oil is still wet - this fills the pores. It's very attractive left unfilled too, but it may not be what you need.

Then a quick cut back finishing with something like 1200 wet and dry to flat it, and a finish rub with a super fine scotch brite pad. Then wax when you are certain you don't need to coat it again. Turtle Wax do a clear synthetic liquid car wax in a bottle that polishes very well over Danish, but it's quite smelly for a few days.

Rustins Clear Plastic Coating two pack is a very good option if you want a brush on finish that looks well too, but builds much faster and is bullet proof. You can spray it too.

It's big advantage is that whatever the polymer is it has the resistance of polyurethane, but unlike it flats back as above with very little effort with wet and dry and a Scotcbrite pad. You determine the final finish this way - flat with a fine Sctoch Brite pad before waxing for a deep satin, or polish it up all the way with a fine rubbing compund if you want a high gloss.

Plan B would be to talk to one of the professional suppliers of wood finish like Becker Acroma...

ian

I have used Polyx Oil quite a bit and it is a good utility finish, but it lacks the clarity of danish oil, pre-cat lacquer or shellac and in a side by side comparison the difference is clearly visible - lustre is reduced. For this reason I do not use it on anything requiring a fine lustre finish.

I agee that the melamine lacquer is a good option. You can apply it with a brush or cloth working fast. It's high build so you don't need many coats and dries very quickly. The finish probably won't be very flat but it can be cut back very easily with a cabinet scraper to a silky smooth surface and creating very little dust. The surface can then be burnished with 0000 wire wool which will give a finish very close to a sprayed satin lacquer.

Jim

All good advise with lots of detail. Thanks guys.

I used danish oil on many other projects and found it excellent (easy, repairable etc). The only thing is that it does tend to yellow the wood a bit for my taste. I have also noticed a few people talking about different brands of danish oil so may be I have been using the wrong brand. Which one would you think provides the best finish for the least yellowing?

Haven't done any side by side tests but Liberon Finishing Oil is paler in colour than most. Whether this translates into less added colur in the wood I don't know. I would generally not use oil where avoiding added colour is important.

Jim

Graeme":1eyeu6ff said:
All good advise with lots of detail. Thanks guys.

I used danish oil on many other projects and found it excellent (easy, repairable etc). The only thing is that it does tend to yellow the wood a bit for my taste. I have also noticed a few people talking about different brands of danish oil so may be I have been using the wrong brand. Which one would you think provides the best finish for the least yellowing?

The Colron version looks like dilute red wine when some is poured into a small container. The Rustins Superior version has a very slight brown colour.

I prefer the Colron as the red highlights the grain better. As to Luster, imho it depends on how fine you sand down to before applying.

I have used Poly X and got a very nice luster finish, without that plastic'y look with varnishes.

Melamine lacquer has been mentioned a couple of times on here - could somebody tell me where I can get some

Cheers

steviem":1am49ydn said:
Melamine lacquer has been mentioned a couple of times on here - could somebody tell me where I can get some

Cheers

Morrells Wodfinishes.

http://www.morrells.co.uk/

They are trade only, but you appear to be trade. They will have a trade counter near you but you need to have a rep call on you in order to get a discount applied to your account.

I use their AC lacquer but their pre-cat malamine is also very good.

Cheers
Brad

Graeme":1vcz8nn4 said:
I have some wardrobe doors and face frame to finish for a client. The oak will have a light application of dark oak stain to bring out the grain pattern, but then they want a silky smooth finish.

I spray quite a lot of varnish finishes, but don't have much experience of other techniques. To complicate matters the face frame would have to be made and possibly hand finished on site. The doors and face frame should match as well as possible.

Any ideas about what finishes to apply would be gratefully received.

Why does the face frame have to be 'made and possibly hand finished' on site? Surely it would make more sense to dry-fit and spray finish it in the workshop but transport it to the job in pieces to be assembled there? If you're worried about getting the joints perfect just add a very slight chamfer to each side of the joint. The resultant V groove will be a nice design feature - maybe repeat it on the doors! This is a job for Dominos, by the way! :wink:

As for the finish, coarse grained timbers such as oak and 'silky smooth' finishes don't really go together unless you use a grain filler before spraying. I would spray finish with Morrells AC lacquer - see link in previous post.

Cheers
Brad

Back