Finishing brass with?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COWS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've made some brass bar handles with a brushed finish. What would you guys recommend to protect from tarnish? I did apply a spray clear coat but removed it. Looked to plastic. Anything out there that will keep a natural look?

Thanks

Maybe Renaissance wax, they use it in museums and stuff for preserving all sorts of things.
I personally dislike any laquer on brass it will always crack and then tarnish unevenly, or as you say look like plastic.
I have seen all sorts on new "nano" and ceramic coatings used on car paintwork and stuff like that, in theory this type of product could work well

Ollie

Last edited:
What about Jade oil - I use this after patinating brass or copper and AFAIKT it dries by oxidation to a very tough and long-lasting finish.
On frequently used handles outdoors it will eventually wear through but by then the patina is in any case even more natural, and I'd have thought for internal pieces this would be after many, many years of use!
/Ed

If you can find a 3M paint and varnish removal wheel it will polish the brass but also leave a brushed finish. I cleaned an old brass shell with one and can't get the brushed finish out now. ! They are an American product and you will have to search the 'net for one.

I have seen all sorts on new "nano" abd ceramic coatings used on car paintwork and stuff like that, in theory this type of product could work well
Thats a good shout. I was looking to try some on table I'm nearing completion.
What about Jade oil - I use this after patinating brass or copper and AFAIKT it dries by oxidation to a very tough and long-lasting finish.
I'll find some a try on a bit of spare. Thanks for the suggestion.
If you can find a 3M paint and varnish removal wheel it will polish the brass but also leave a brushed finish
Thanks recipio, I have the fine brush effect I'm looking for on these. Might look at something like this for future.

Any shellac product will seal brass. It can be coloured or tinted if required. Being meths based very easy to remove/redo and quick drying.

Thats a good shout. I was looking to try some on table I'm nearing completion.

I'll find some a try on a bit of spare. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks recipio, I have the fine brush effect I'm looking for on these. Might look at something like this for future.
Have you had a chance to try the ceramic coatings? They look intriguing, but I don't know if they are just a youtube gimmick

Latest posts

Back